DIY Large feeder culture container - waxworms and others

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@CosbyArt with these kind of containers would u suggest a very small heating element... Like say a Beta heater... My place is terrible as far climate goes... Winter is very cold and Summers are very hot! 

@BigDazz A small heater would be great, as in the wild the waxworms are inside beehives and stay rather warm. If you can provide temperatures in the 80's F they will culture better/faster too. Here is a link to the original guide on culturing waxworms I used to get started, it may help fill in some details.

@CosbyArt @BigDazz

I also made a wax worm breeder, though mines not as fancy as these two... mine is more of a minimalist build (without prong hole/hand holes) but revolved around this main concept. Should work..

Since I don't mind chasing and hunting down flying bugs around my house, I didn't think id need em'... but I could always add it if need be.

Currently have atleast 75 worms (bought) and ive already got a few moths emerged ( not bought..), plan to add in another 100-150 wax worms when I get paid. :D  

@LAME Would love to know how it works out for you... I haven't tried mine yet... With my hatred of flies I'm still enjoying the hunt for my girl to enjoy lol

I think the biggest thing that turned me off is the moth lifespan... If I'm correct I remember hearing they only live a few days... Now I think about it maybe buying a batch of wax worms every week will secure a steady supply of moths... Again I'm not sure... What's ur thoughts on this?!? 

Last edited by a moderator:
@BigDazz

I think the moths themselves live up to a few weeks, once they breach adult they don't eat and only live to breed. Once they mate I believe they die.

I'm mainly starting this as a snack vending machine for my 2 beardies. As I live over 40 miles to the closest pet store, it's easier for me to raise my own rather than waste gas and money on trips not knowing if anyone will even have any in stock. Plus the idolos can eat the moths... which is also helpful for me with the colder months coming in.

Will definitely let you know how this goes, I just got it all together (food and all...) So I guess we will see in a few weeks what happens. :)  

@LAME Best of luck with your moths. :D They are a great easy feeder to culture, just add new food and clean out the culture of dead moths/worms/silk in-between generations and they will keep going. My last culture did three successful generations, before I realized they needed new food (the food doesn't disappear or loose any height, but it was full of tunnels and lost it's nutritional value and honey at that point, but I lost interest as it was summer anyway. ;)

@BigDazz The moths live about 2 to 3 weeks once they emerge from their cocoons to the last few are left in a culture. I leave them alone for about a week after I notice the first moths, that way they have time to mate and begin laying new eggs. Then I start to harvest them as feeders, but of course if you manually adding new worms or have more than needed anyway you can collect them at any point. :)

@BigDazz @CosbyArt

I've successfully raised waxworms up to waxmoths and now have my first generation of tiny little wax worms! 

Of course I must thank Mr Cosbyart for the pointers on the food, I doubt I would've gotten too far without his advice.  Thanks bro :)  
20161201_105259_zpsypkuwdkb.jpg

@BigDazz @CosbyArt

I've successfully raised waxworms up to waxmoths and now have my first generation of tiny little wax worms! 

Of course I must thank Mr Cosbyart for the pointers on the food, I doubt I would've gotten too far without his advice.  Thanks bro :)
Your more than welcome LAME. I'm glad to see you got them sorted out, and it's great to see such a small healthy waxworm too. :D

You should notice a large population bloom with each generation now (seemingly quintupled in size), so beware as they quickly become a huge culture if given enough room and food in just a few generations. ;)

@BigDazz @CosbyArt

Here's another update on my progress. My worms have grown so much in such a little time, some are getting massive! I took a few out for feeding today, check these out;
20161207_113029_zpskhm9d7zs.jpg

I must say i am pretty impressed. I may actually keep breeding and using these for awhile. :D  

@LAME Looking good, great to read your able to use them already. :) Did you see a population spike from the amount you stared with?

@LAME Looking good, great to read your able to use them already. :) Did you see a population spike from the amount you stared with?
Oooooooh yeah, I have tons of babies and a handful or so that's growing like in that photo. I didn't even think I had that much as I only seen about 8 or 9 moths at first... but I guess it worked out lol :D  

I have my culture sitting on a rack right above my heat vent (where I keep Ruin) so they stay pretty warm at all times. I was using a heating pad but had to start using it for breeding the dubia, which are also exploding in numbers.

Oooooooh yeah, I have tons of babies and a handful or so that's growing like in that photo. I didn't even think I had that much as I only seen about 8 or 9 moths at first... but I guess it worked out lol :D  

I have my culture sitting on a rack right above my heat vent (where I keep Ruin) so they stay pretty warm at all times. I was using a heating pad but had to start using it for breeding the dubia, which are also exploding in numbers.
Great! :) It is strange how well they can hide, but seems they did their task well. ;)

Nice, a little extra heat is always a advantage for any feeder. Always a plus when you have too many feeders, especially a few varieties. :D

Great! :) It is strange how well they can hide, but seems they did their task well. ;)

Nice, a little extra heat is always a advantage for any feeder. Always a plus when you have too many feeders, especially a few varieties. :D
Right? Definitely.

I'm actually about to upgrade mine into a bigger (...er, well... taller I should say) enclosure, and use the current bin for another feeders enclosure. How do you get your cardboard separated like that? Is there a magic trick to it? Yours looks so much nicer lol.

I've tried peeling it softly... doesn't work

I've tried a razor blade while softly peeling... still didn't work. -_-

Heeeeelp me pleeeeeease!  LoL

@LAME Lol :D

Yeah the cardboard I separate slowly and use only a razor blade. The trick likely though is in the technique, so I'll have to see if I can put together a quick video for you later on demonstrating it. ;)

@LAME Lol :D

Yeah the cardboard I separate slowly and use only a razor blade. The trick likely though is in the technique, so I'll have to see if I can put together a quick video for you later on demonstrating it. ;)
Lol ;)

Nah, unnecessary bro. I ended up finding one of my small paint brushes that was surprisingly the same size as the slots in the cardboard, which made it alot easier. 

Lol ;)

Nah, unnecessary bro. I ended up finding one of my small paint brushes that was surprisingly the same size as the slots in the cardboard, which made it alot easier. 
Sounds interesting. So how do you do your paint brush method then? :)

For me i started by trying to separate the top layer from the cardboard, which ended up in tearing only little pieces off at a time. After ripping what I could off I simply inserted the pointed handle end into each "slot" in the cardboard middle layering. Using a small bit of force, I pushed the handle from one side to the next, then repeat on the next "slot". Making my way to the other end of my cardboard piece, my brushes handle did majority of the hard work... All I had to do was rip what off little that was left. 

Now... it's not Cosby perfect, buuuuut it's pretty close I'd say.   :D  

(will have to get a photo,I just got off. -_- )