DIY vivarium project

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Life

Reaction score
Hey, I just wanted to show everyone a fun and simple way to create a natural vivarium for your mantids. They need more than just a cup with a popsicle stick for a home. 

Materials used: exo-terra nano tanks (2)8x8x12" nano talls and (1)8x8x8" nano(good for small species or nymphs), great stuff expanding foam, aquarium safe silicone, peat moss/coco fiber/bark mix, hydro balls, weed stopper mesh, 3/4" pvc pipe with a notch for draining access water, hot glue gun, plants and eventually you'd want to add springtails, dead leaves and isopods to act as a clean up crew. 

viv13.png

viv12.png

viv11.png

viv10.png

viv9.png

viv8.png

viv7.png

viv6.png

viv5.png

viv4.png

viv3.png

viv2.png

viv1.png

viv.png

viv13.png

viv12.png

viv11.png

viv10.png

viv9.png

viv8.png

viv7.png

viv6.png

viv5.png

viv4.png

viv2.png

viv1.png

viv.png

No idea what happened with the order of the pictures and why there's multiple ones. Wont let me fix it, sorry. 

Great little habitats! I've been dying to try out this method with my gecko's cage for a while now! Still gathering and processing bark and the like for that project. I have a few less spectacular habitats made up for my mantis friends one in a 12x12x12 exo terra but I'm in the process of building a few custom ones as well.

You should make a video of you pitting the plants is as well ( if you make another tank like this)

Thank you! I filmed the process with my gopro but i've just been lagging on the video. I'd recommend hot gluing the black mesh to the sides so it doesn't slip and drop a bunch of dirt into the rocks(I learned the hard way)

12x12x12" would make an excellent bio viv, more room for bigger plants and branches. I'm still trying to finish up my 12x12x18" for my orchid mantis. Once you make one, you get all inspired to make more. Post your progress!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts