Do female mantids ever "want" to mate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
I have a Chinese female that molted into an adult on August 12 and a male that molted into an adult on August 24. I witnessed the female pointing her abdomen down a couple of times in the evenings. I am hoping that she was "calling". I have been trying to get the male to mate with her for a couple of days with no luck. He was looking like he was going to, pointing antennae and even grasped her a couple of times. He would then just climb up too far and start smacking her in the face with his forelegs. :eek: Also he would get on her and start antennae whacking only to forget what he intended to do and walk off. She seems to not mind this mistreatment, she lays (stands) there and takes it. :lol: A couple of times she straightened her forelegs like making a stick impression, after being slapped. Other than the stick impression, she seems tolerant of the males proximity. I am no longer afraid of her eating him any time soon. It would be nice if he would do his duty while she seems to be in the mood. She also seems tired and lazy. After reading about mantid mating behavior on the forum, I am wondering if there might be something wrong with my "nice" girl. My Carolina tried smacking his female, but he mated a couple hours later when reintroduced to her. I seem to have nice girls and bad boys for some reason, on my first two attempts at breeding mantids.

Your female is ready to mate, and is receptive. Your male is the one screwing it up! Female chinese mantids will extend the arms forward in a submissive posture when the male first jumps on, and grabs her. Just keep trying. He should figure it out after awhile. :rolleyes:

Your female is ready to mate, and is receptive. Your male is the one screwing it up! Female chinese mantids will extend the arms forward in a submissive posture when the male first jumps on, and grabs her. Just keep trying. He should figure it out after awhile. :rolleyes:
I thought that straight foreleg pose looked a little different than the "stick". :lol: She also tried putting her forelegs down on the surface of the bed and the lamp, almost as if to say "See, I won't hurt you". I have been trying different locations in the room to see if he will be more comfortable in a certain place. I am glad that Chocolate Milk, my female, is sweet. Lovely, the male, is probably too immature as of now. He is just two weeks into adulthood. Chocolate milk, on the other hand, seems about to explode. I feel sorry for her because she is so heavy, and I hope that she doesn't have to waste the ootheca she seems to be carrying. :(

Younger males are known for this. Keep trying.

I have put him on her back a few times. I guess he isn't ready yet. He came pretty close tonight ,but he just walked away, again. :mellow:

I'm having this same problem with one of my males Likebug. It's frustrating, but I just keep trying every night hoping he will eventually get the idea.

He is having a good time, just being near her or on her, waving his abdomen in the air. :lol: I don't think he knows what to do next or where to put the tip of his abdomen. It seems to want to point up and that is it. :angry:

:angry: This is starting to get on my nerves. He just looks at her and it is like he is mating with the air. He seems to be satisfied with that. My other male is too young and flies away.

Well two of my chinese are mating right now :D he was flying at first she was eating a grasshopper when i put him in there so i just waited a while in within 5 mins. he started to get intrested. i wish you luck :p

That male died. :( He had a weird bulge in his abdomen. Perhaps there was something wrong with him that prevented him from connecting. I have been trying to introduce my last male to the same female. He doesn't even seem interested in her, he is not even pionting his antennae at her. <_< Oh well, she will just have to wait. She lets the immature male climb all over her, just waiting patiently for something to happen. I hope that he will realize she is there, one of these days. :mellow:

I have been introducing my only remaining male to the same female. He doesn't seem to be interested yet. He slapped her on the head this morning, so I guess he at least notices her now. :lol: My carolina male tried to slap his female before he mated with her the first time. Maybe it is some sort of test; ( if she takes the slap without getting defensive maybe he will feel like he can mate safely). Maybe they just like slapping the female, while they can. :huh:

I'm rather surprised your males are that ballsy! The point is to creep up without being detected. Not smack em in the head! :lol: Mating D. bolivari is probably one of the more intense mating rituals. The male makes him self known by going into full threat display in front of the female before making an attempt to mount. The female is well aware of what is about to happen! :blink: I had one male mate four different females this way. Seemed pretty crazy to me! I often wondered what kind of brawl would have insued should the female not be ready? :lol: My male was bigger than all four females!

My Carolina male just happened to do a threat pose at the female before slapping her. I separated them and about an hour later, when reintroduced, he gently mounted her. Maybe my males are spoiled and arrogant, I am always complimenting them. :lol:

Latest posts