Do mantids regrow limbs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@GingerC Ideally the feeder is impaled on the thumbtack alive - as most mantids will only eat living prey. Besides trying live prey you can offer it 100% honey on a toothpick, and if it refuses it you can rub some on it's forearms/legs (as it will eat it as it cleans it off).

The honey will help tie the mantid over on feeding, and give it a boost of energy in the meantime. The honey is usually used as a once weekly treat (or less frequently), but has helped get some mismolts to make it to a successful molt.

Moving prey seems to be the trigger for mantis to get interested. They sure ignore dead crickets or flies.

Most of mine would not take the honey treat at first. Small amount rubbed on raptor got attention when cleaning it off. Now they seem to remember cause they sure get ready when they see the rounded tooth pick coming towards them. Several grab hold so they can eat easier, LOL.

Crickets have a way of somehow managing to move even when they're partially flattened, dripping with blood, and have a giant thumbtack through the middle. The thing was definitely moving, the nymph just wasn't interested. I'll try honey later today, but the nymph has not moved at all in over 24 hours; haven't checked whether it's alive or not.

Crickets have a way of somehow managing to move even when they're partially flattened, dripping with blood, and have a giant thumbtack through the middle. The thing was definitely moving, the nymph just wasn't interested. I'll try honey later today, but the nymph has not moved at all in over 24 hours; haven't checked whether it's alive or not.
Damn I’m super invested in this and it happened 7 years ago 😭 was the nymph okay??