Do mantises prefer mesh bug screens or plastic surfaces?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetterdew

Reaction score
I've got some plastic cups where I recently cut parts out and added screen mesh, the things you'd put across windows to keep bugs from getting into your house.  I like it because it makes it easier to see my mantises, and I also think he might prefer it, but I just want to double check with you all.  Do they usually prefer screens, or plastic surfaces to cling onto and hang from?

@wetterdew I do the same as you, I've got deli cups that I cut up and add mesh to. It's better ventilation, plus they like hanging on it. I buy plastic containers for my bigger mantids and I drill holes in those and add mesh as well. 

they do not do well on plastic is why u need to add silk flower pieces so they can climb around reaching them. U don't need

enough to block your view, just enough they can reach each piece to move around. Some insects can climb anywhere, like spiders,

mantis do good, but I think it is to hard on them.

On the screen mesh, do not use metal screening. The metal will slip and slide and trap parts of the mantis foot. I watched a large adult female all but tear off a foot caught in the aluminum screen top. Changed that real fast. Used a fabric called tulle for tops and sides as needed. Worked great for me.

I also use window screening if I am making cages.  Either that or cheese cloth (so cheap in bulk).  For the cups though I have noticed the metal screen isn't as harsh on nymphs, but I still tend to use the poly fiber lids due to needing something that holds in fruit flies, and sometimes house flies hatch and are small enough to squeeze through the holes before they "expand".  So annoying.

Latest posts