Do temperatures play a roll

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poke

Reaction score
Im still reading and researching all the different types of mantids I want to keep. And wanted to know if temperatures for certain mantids play a big roll? Just in general if you keep mantids at the higher end temperature they are suppose to be kept at. Will they eat more and go into molt faster? Also what if kept on the lower end of the temperature range. Will they slow down on the eating and molting?

So with that said, if they molt faster on the higher end temps does that mean they will die faster since they have turned into adults faster? Is it the opposite with the lower temperature if they molt slower and get to adult slower will they live longer? Or is the life expectancy of each species already set even if they dont molt to adulthood?

yes, to all of your thoughts.

so, with most, you want to slow down the growth of your male. and at the same time, speed up your females, you seem to realise what to do.

yet also, sometimes, when you raise the temps, you can instigate breeding when adult.

Harry

Well thanks for the quick answers.

Now to my next question. Do females tend to live longer then males or vice versa?

the idea being heat speeds up metabolism, increasing to a point till overheating/death occurs (dont want to cook em)

so, with most, you want to slow down the growth of your male. and at the same time, speed up your females, you seem to realise what to do.

yet also, sometimes, when you raise the temps, you can instigate breeding when adult.

Harry
This is one of those "techniques" I wish would go away. There is rarely if ever a need to do this.

Made me think of something, though. With several species I've raised, I've gotten big warning to avoid food that "doesn't fly", alleging the chemical found "mainly in crickets" can lead to poor ooths. Crickets have wings, and so, on - we've had discussion on this before. True or flase, on most species, I'm not risking it.

But what DIDN'T occur to me til last night, is that this has NOTHING to do with what the MALE eats! I just conceptualized BAD as applying to both genders. ("Gender Bias"?)

So, if one WANTS to delay male development, and DOESN'T want to play with heat, couldn't you just pace out the food...? It's easier for me to hand feed a large MALE a LARGE cricket, then to pace out his eventual fly consumption. And the ladies can just get stuffed! On flies, I mean. :)

(Although, if she EATS THE MALE, I guess I'm in the same boat).

Latest posts