Do they all play dead?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathi K

Reaction score
I was just walking by my mantis aquarium and noticed one of them escaped when I fed them- he was hanging out on the lid of the container. I tried to get him to climb on my finger but he wasn't having any part of it. All of a sudden- he "played dead" and went completely limp. I was completely shocked by what I saw so I gently picked him up by one of his back legs and he continued to hang limp. Then as I was dropping him back in the aquarium- he came back to life just like normal. It was so strange!

I've only heard of deroplatys species doing this. Dead leaf mantids. I've never seen any of mine do it, but on occasion the polyspilota griffinii will crouch really close to what they're standing in to blend in better

Generally only mimic type species do this, i have only had Deroplatys and P. werneri do this (out of the species i have kept).

These are from a nest that hatched in my friends Christmas tree so I really have no idea. Others on here have said they are Chinese.

I have seen quite a few mantids do it.

They will usually drop and be still if they are startled. Sometimes they will hold their legs folded or aligned with their bodies. Tenodera aridifolia sinensis, Stagmomantis carolina, Thesprotia graminis, Croebroter pictipennis, and Hymenopus coronatus have all done it in front of me. That is almost every species that I have reared. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Hierodula multispina probably do it too, but I am so used to it that I can't say for certain. I would have to say that it is a common defense mechanism.

If they were to drop like that in grass or leaves they will be hard to spot.

I was just walking by my mantis aquarium and noticed one of them escaped when I fed them- he was hanging out on the lid of the container. I tried to get him to climb on my finger but he wasn't having any part of it. All of a sudden- he "played dead" and went completely limp. I was completely shocked by what I saw so I gently picked him up by one of his back legs and he continued to hang limp. Then as I was dropping him back in the aquarium- he came back to life just like normal. It was so strange!
i just posted a topic called lobata growth and there is a pic of a sub adult female playing dead. cute pic but i felt bad scaring the poor thing.

LOL- good to know I'm not crazy. It was so cool to witness. Thanks for the comments everyone!

I'm sure you were but BE CAREFUL when forcing them to be handled. If it was hanging and doing this, it probably had a really strong grip and was not ready to let go. Don't want to hurt their little feetsies. Unless you have a genuine concern (which I think did this time) I would recommend to leave them alone in times like this. I have never seen this, but I have not had many kids up to this point.

I'm sure you were but BE CAREFUL when forcing them to be handled. If it was hanging and doing this, it probably had a really strong grip and was not ready to let go. Don't want to hurt their little feetsies. Unless you have a genuine concern (which I think did this time) I would recommend to leave them alone in times like this. I have never seen this, but I have not had many kids up to this point.
Thanks for the concern- this little guy had no grip at all- he was running from me and just collapsed in a fraction of a second. He was on the top of the aquarium which has the ventilation slats in it so I was able to carefully pick him up by his leg. (Of course I have no idea if "he" is a "him" but since he was being mischievious- we'll assume so:))

Don't worry. lol!

I don't think that any mantids were being abused. At least by the person posting the topic at hand. I too, worry about what people will do to the little tarsae as I think it is horrible to grab an insect and pull it off of whatever it is gripping. :( I could imagine that feet, or other parts can be injured and damaged that way. :eek:

That being said, I have watched mantids drop, if only beacuse I went to feed them without moving around the room a little first. Also, when I have walked into said room, I occasionally hear one drop because they are startled.

The dropping and freezing behavior is quite common to witness, (even in other insects). I have seen it happen quite a few times, but I have had quite a few insects, as well.

I do tend to leave mantids alone if they are prone to that behavior. I think that those particular insects, (ones that play dead more than once) are easily stressed.

Latest posts