Do you name your mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danswan

Reaction score
If I have "favorite" mantids, I name them.

Wahlberghi names:

----------------------

butterfingers, pegasus, amigo, popeye, "The Jackson 5" (Because they "Lighten" as they get older :) )

Tenodera names:

---------------------

Timmeh, Vantis.

What names have you given your mantids?

lol i have had lots of mantids but the only to names i have given were to my budwing the first one bill then bill jr. .bill almost lived 2 years

giraffe, little man, tiny man, dumpy, little dumpy, winky, ghosty.

these are more to do with my girlfriend. if i was by myself i either wouldnt name them - or i'd give em serious names of like gods n stuff

JOHNALDS NAMES ARE FANTASTIC .. especially winky .. what kind of mantis is winky johnald ? :wink: is that some secret code your gf uses :lol:

but yea .. my gf names mine too ...

Twiglett , Skips , Crinkle , Manny , Mouse , Biscuit , Big MOMMA and FLOWER !

:lol:

lol well my mom named mine lol from the song will you mary me bill. i don't have a girlfriend because i am 13 lol

dumpy is an orchid, it's called that because when i first got it it jumped like crazy everywhere doing somersaults and alsorts. but with us jumpy would be said as dumpy - because we talk like idiots...

winky is a wahlberghi, which i guess is fitting because of the eyespots (winks) . i think it was called that because of how tiny it was and it had big eyes. it's no secret code :lol:

giraffe is the gongy, cos they do look like giraffes ( i actually house with it some model giraffes of similar size )

i'm surprised my girlfriend didnt name them like yours 13ollox, after food... :lol:

i would have named mine lkike danswans if i'd had half a chance.

i named one of mine was my first she was an african and called Spod

Spod the sphod

I only name them when the species of mantis is down to less than 10. Main reason for naming them is purely for book keeping purpose such as ooth laid, hacthling rate, mating, etc.

first mantid i had was a sphod... (still got a tape of HER somewhere)

called her Matthew cos i didn't know how to sex at that time...

Never named since...

- although named my scorpions Fluffy and Cuddles

If My Budwing is female ill prolly name it Zelda or Shiek, if its male probably Bowser or Thor

If my Grandis is female probably Rogue orMystique, if male Morpheus or Zues

lol kinda wierd

I named mine Sid, because the shape of his head reminds me of Sid the sloth from Ice Age :D

Well, I named my European Thor, before I knew it was a female. She was just SO big compared to the little green ones I'd found before, and she was so pale she reminded me of a viking type of bug. So she became known as Thor.

Apparently my mom named her first ever puppy Thor, so maybe the name runs in the family. Though I could never do that to my own child!

The little green one I found is called Little Matt after a friend. We have 4 people named Matt in my circle of friends and one is smaller than the rest so he is called little matt. The latest Mantid I caught was sooo tiny and so flighty and excited it reminded me of him. He knows and just laughs about it and says I better not starve him.

Once the 4 ooth's start hatching I dont think Ill name the nymphs.

Unless one really reminds me of it's mother, then we'll have another Thor, haha.

Oh Im glad to see this thread...I was afraid I

was the only one who might have named Mantids.

I see them as pets after all.

My 2006 set of Chineese Mantids:

Swearinger (my favorite=a bit mean)

Juliet (2nd favorite = very sweet)

Marie

Bobbie (He was a jerk...I let him go)

Logan (always injured)

Dominic

Cody

Brandon

Monty

Ariel (very beautiful vivid green)

My ootheca hatched on New Year's Day so I have a bunch of them. Well, I couldn't take care of so many but didn't want any of them to get killed so I gave some to my sister. The ones I kept are named like this:

Alpha, Bravo, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, ......

So far, 21 in my possession are still alive.

Latest posts