Does anybody know what kind this is?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazzmle

Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope this post goes here, I joined so I could hopefully get an answer. I had an order from mantisplace.com, which gave me just what I needed! I was also given an extra mantis, and I am not sure what it is. I think it is a Taiwan Flower Mantis, but I don't know too much yet. I am raising them for my 4-H entomology project. So, let me know if you know what it is!

TFMantis.jpg

I'm sure that if you ask Rebecca what she sent you, she would look it up and tell you.

Harry

I did ask her and she said she thinks it is a budwing. I don't know much, but it doesnt quite look like the budwings I have seen online. It looks more like a taiwan flower mantis

I thought it looked like a budwing too, but it's possible it's not. I'd wait for it to go through another couple of molts and try ID again if you're not satisfied with that answer

Seems Rebecca won't tell you, even when asked...I've asked a few times now which type of Creobroter she sent, gemmatus or pictipennis, and she never HAS answered! :( Guess I'll just have to wait & see! (Mynd you, I bought these guys...they're NOT mystery mantises!) ;)

-Carey Kurtz-

Seems Rebecca won't tell you, even when asked...I've asked a few times now which type of Creobroter she sent, gemmatus or pictipennis, and she never HAS answered! :( Guess I'll just have to wait & see! (Mynd you, I bought these guys...they're NOT mystery mantises!) ;)

-Carey Kurtz-
It is very possible she just doesn't remember. Unless she records what she sends it would be easy to lose track.

It could also be that part of the mystery mantis program uses nymphs that have escaped their enclosure and therefor are not 100% known to her.

[wink]

It could also be that part of the mystery mantis program uses nymphs that have escaped their enclosure and therefor are not 100% known to her.

[wink]
Yea, if you read on her site what the mystery mantis is it's exactly this. The escapees get sent out and she isn't able to keep track or tell the difference and sends them out as the "mystery mantis". Better identification comes down the line when they're larger. Sometimes as nymphs they all blend together..... :wacko:

Ha, ha! Yeah - that's the "Mystery Mantis" program. :) Kind of fun making us reach out to our own community for identification - "Ooh! Ooh! What did YOU get!?!". I've got 2 of what looks to be the same things, and I had them isolated, but then I gave up and threw them in with my much bigger baby Gongy's. I laugh, cuz it's kinda like the pack thing they do on Dog Whisper - toss em in with the big dogs - let THEM maintain order.

Also, I think I'm WAY on the other end from the single-mantis-in-a-deli-cup people. They have the right approach (for keeping everyone safe), but durn it! I'm tryin' ta form a coolition here! :)

Latest posts