Does anyone sound-proof their male crickets?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamakiri

Reaction score
I tried feeding the males first. But that often meant a few days of chirping before they're all gone. Makes my wife mad :angry:

So I froze the males for a couple of purchases...but what's the point in getting fresh food only to freeze 'em?

Then I tried this:

Put the males in a separate container...a plastic bottle in this case. Cover the top with screen and loosely put the lid back on. Stick that in a cardboard box with foam peanuts and close the box.

It works well enough not to disrupt the peace in the house...the Bunny might disagree. He never looks happy.

aw! That's too bad, they can't get much air that way. I love to hear them make noise, I think it makes the mantis feel more like they have a life, cause they don't make any noise, so a real natural sound is nice.

I don't buy adult crickets so by the time they are adults they are all pretty much gone.

I don't buy adult crickets so by the time they are adults they are all pretty much gone.
I wish I could do that, but most often I can't get the sub-adult/medium-sized ones.

Rebecca> Somehow I only like the chirping to sound natural...outside and a little muted by the house. Chirping indoors makes me think I need to go kill a cricket running around loose in the house! I suppose they get enough air...the screen keeps the lid from going on tight and killing them. I suppose they're content enough since they still chirp. I thought they won't if under any stress.

I wish I could do that, but most often I can't get the sub-adult/medium-sized ones.Rebecca> Somehow I only like the chirping to sound natural...outside and a little muted by the house. Chirping indoors makes me think I need to go kill a cricket running around loose in the house! I suppose they get enough air...the screen keeps the lid from going on tight and killing them. I suppose they're content enough since they still chirp. I thought they won't if under any stress.
Why not? Most online vendors sell them at all sizes.

Well normally I love my cricket singers, and have the tank set up in my bedroom.

However, when I was up at college in a dorm, and technically not suppose to have anything but fish, I found I needed to silence some of the males since it was rather suspicious with all all the noise coming from my closet. What I found is you can just clip their wings with those little scissors (like the type you can find in the makeup/beautification sections of stores). Takes a little extra work, and doesn't completely silence them, but they just have a low hushed rustle rather than the loud high pitched twang.

Your other option is just purchase female crickets at the pet store. Just ask them if you can pick them out... yes... I've stood in a pet store, with people gawking at me, while I hand picked out over 30 female crickets. :lol:

eesh. Clipping sounds like lots of work!

I think the girls at the pet store wouldn't like me as much if I started making requests like female only :(

I usually get the count of females that I ask for...just because I'm a regular customer. Well, at least the girls who *know* me. ;)

Latest posts