Does anyone use rubbermaid containers to hatch oothes?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arpooch

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm hatching my first ooth but I don't know what to put it now. Right now it is in a critter keeper and I can't keep it in there becuase the holes are too big. Does anyone use small rubbermaid containers with small holes drilled into the top? I would put paper towels at the bottom and mist it 3 times a day. (How many times a day do you need to mist?) I'm thinking the top will hold the moisture. Is this setup ok? Then, once they hatch I'm going to put the babies in deli cups with cocoa substrate on the bottom and some sticks.

If a rubbermaid container wouldn't work, what do you hatch yours in?

Thanks!

-Arpooch

It's probably fine. I would worry that drilled holes might not be enough ventilation and that it might mold.

Also, to be clear, when you talk about misting "it", make sure you're not misting the ooth directly.

Three times a day might be right, or it might be too much. Depends on how dry it is where you live (it's quite dry here in CO) or, more so how dry it is where you are keeping them.

Houses and offices are quite dry, green houses obviously are frequently humid

It's in my house so it will be dry. Do you think it might not be enough venilation?

And I plan to glue the ooth to a stick? Is that ok? Also, mine is laid on the top of a critter keeper. Can I just take it off with a razor or just take it off with my fingers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glueing it to a stick is fine. Most of the other stuff I covered on your other thread.

It would personally be the last thing I would use. I like net cages or 32 oz insect cups. It won't take you long to see why a rubbermaid tub isn't a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: