Does it exist?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graffyn

Reaction score
A large communal (no guarantees) Mantis species that will eat crawlers.

I would like to release them into my greenhouse and feed them crickets, super worms, wingless fruit flys (nymph stage) and random other insects that occasionally make their way into the greenhouse.

I am still noob to the mantis world and have only hatched a few Chinese ooths, and have separated 6 into their private acrylic homes, the other's were free to roam the greenhouse and there are prolly 7-10 in there but of course every few days I see one having his/her brother or sister for lunch
sad.gif

Greenhouse conditions:

Summer: Daytime temp= 84-92 f and 65-75% humidity

Nighttime temp= 72-75 f and 80-95% humidity

Winter: Daytime temp= 78-82 f and 65-75% humidity

Nighttime temp= 68-72 f and 80-95% humidity

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
wont find too many that are can tolerate being in the same housing with others of the same species but some are more tolerant of one another to a point!

giant asians

egyptians or acromantis formasana

violins or gongs

brunners or stagmomantis limbata or floridensis

gambian spotted eye flower mantis or creobroter species!

Even of the species that are can tolerate in the same housing, you must give them abundant food to avoid problems of cannibalism

I'd suggest Arizona or Texas unicorn mantids, in a greenhouse they won't eat each other unless they are without food. When they reach adulthood you'll lose some adult males but at that point they're not going to be around a whole lot longer anyway.

The main problem in the greenhouse is having enough food available for all of them. I can't imagine you get enough food in there to support an adult female of a large species of something like Tenedora.

Massaman/Z3 - I know that any species may much on his/her sibling, just wondering which ones are less likely to do so and thanks for these suggestions.

Orion- Thanks for those suggestions too, I will research these too.

Rick- As far as food goes, yea Rick I agree they will never catch enough food on their own in there thats why I hand feed them all, I don't mind
smile.gif

Phil- Yep, hoping he jumps in on this thread too ;)

Hi! I finally answered your PM--so sorry it took me so long. I haven't been online much in a while. This is interesting to me because I have always wanted to do the greenhouse/indoor garden thing with mantids. I will be curious to see the answers you get.

All I know is it probably wouldn't work with these carolinas...I think they'd PREFER to hunt each other down even if food was readily available. Little monsters! :lol:

Rebecca