Don't get excited!...buuut

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwright

Reaction score
My religiosa's wing buds are noticeably swollen today and I read that is a sign they are about to molt. I am so excited!!! He was acting kind of shady the other day and was barely moving on a very low leaf. I was worried he was going to molt there, which would have resulted in a mismolt. So I nudged him to the top of the cage. Now today I see the wing buds are becoming prominent and he has barely moved from the area he's standing in! I'm excited!!!! I haven't fed him in 2 days, but I may wait 2 or 3 more now.
I can't get a good picture because the glass is so reflective and there are windows on either side so it just makes for god awful lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just set up a time lapse video with my ipad. I think it's going to be today. He hasn't moved in a couple hours and he has some dark line running up the middle of his back.

Edit: I flashed a light on him and that dark line is just a shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't happen last night but it should soon. I offered a roach today and he immediately struck at it and went into a threat posture. It was impressive. 

Your mantis is definitely going to molt soon.  When the wing buds start to get swollen, I noticed that they will still eat, at least day one of swollen wing buds.  When the wing buds raise ever so slightly and the more you raise mantids the easier it will be able to notice, that's when you know a molt is pretty much going to happen within hours or that day.  Is this a molt into adulthood?

I think so? I'm still not able to identify instars. He's molted once for us about 3, maybe 4 weeks ago? 

No molting as of right now. It's so frustrating for me to wait! He'll inch around and then just not move for hours, not even when I look into the side of the tank. And I'm like, "Oh maybe now!" Because his breathing with move his whole body. But no dice. Come on Jack!

Sorry for the late reply! Here he is!!! He ate a fat roach a couple days after his molt; guts and all! He also showed an impressive defense posture to the plastic tub the roach was in.

image0.jpg

Nice. 

I accidently bumped mine while putting a cricket in a day or so after his final molt and he did a super cool defence posture too. 

0816180910d.jpg

0816180910.jpg

Wow! That is a beautiful adult religiosa! Good job with him.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts