dont know what else to feed my mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparland

Reaction score
Will my mantid eat a beetle? Its in the lower left.

2011-06-07_21-56-01_593.jpg

Better to go get the mantis something else like flies or moths or maybe some other flying insects or crickets/grasshoppers that beetle may be too hard to eat at the size of your mantis!

I had my mantis, about the same size as yours, try to eat a beetle. Once it did make it through the beetle's hard exoskeleton, the second time it didn't and it put the beetle down. So I caught some mosquitoes and then turned on the house flood light at night and caught some moths. It loved those.

I had my mantis, about the same size as yours, try to eat a beetle. Once it did make it through the beetle's hard exoskeleton, the second time it didn't and it put the beetle down. So I caught some mosquitoes and then turned on the house flood light at night and caught some moths. It loved those.
Hey jetsky, I haven't even thought about feeding mantids mosquitoes. But we have so many mosquitoes here, that may be an awesome idea.

Is there any harm in feeding it to them though? I know my city spends quite a bit of money in spraying pesticides to limit thier numbers. I'd hate to kill a future mantis if the mosquito is affected by a pesticide.

Try catching moths, flies, butterflies, crickets, grasshoppers. If you are having to much of a hard time finding feeders yourself. You could also purchase feeders at your local petstore. They normally sell crickets, mealworms, and wax worms. Good luck! :)

Ok, thanks. I got rid of the beetle and caught some small moths, and it loved them of course. Now, my mantid is only about 2 inches long. Is it still a nymth or is it just a smaller species of mantids? And how much should I feed it?

Ok, thanks. I got rid of the beetle and caught some small moths, and it loved them of course. Now, my mantid is only about 2 inches long. Is it still a nymth or is it just a smaller species of mantids? And how much should I feed it?
When becomes an adult, it'll have wings. As far as feeding goes, just make sure it's fat and not bloating fat. Once it's fat, you can put it on a diet until it gets slimmer.

Latest posts