Double Fisted

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwaink

Reaction score
Hi,

I just thought i would share with you. While feeding my Chinese nymphs D. hydei fruit flies, i noticed that one nymph was eating well, when i thought something was wrong with the other arm, so breaking out the magnifying glass i saw that the other arm was also holding a hydei fly. The nymph was eating one fly with one arm while holding onto another one in the other arm, until it was done with the first one. Something i have never seen before.

Also thought about cleaning the excelsior, is their a way to clean it so it can be reused?

Regards :)

I like when they catch one with each arm.

aw :eek: too bad, it is one of the cute things they do! Did you ever notice, the way a mantis eats, at least the nymphs that they have a way about them nothing else does. Kind of like a little monkey maybe. They take and hold the food like they have real hands, and they hold it up to their mouths like they have a real treat, I just love it! :)

aw :eek: too bad, it is one of the cute things they do! Did you ever notice, the way a mantis eats, at least the nymphs that they have a way about them nothing else does. Kind of like a little monkey maybe. They take and hold the food like they have real hands, and they hold it up to their mouths like they have a real treat, I just love it! :)
They look so cute when they devour the struggling insect alive! Look, junior is tearing the eye off of a fruit fly, he's turning out just like his father! :blink:

I've seen the "double fisted" quite a bit. Very cool to see indeed.

I've also seen (2-3 times now) where the mantis had a fly in one arm, and put it in its mouth. Then, with its two free arms, it caught a new fly in each! :blink: What would you call that? "Double fisted-face stuffed"? :lol:

I've seen the "double fisted" quite a bit. Very cool to see indeed. I've also seen (2-3 times now) where the mantis had a fly in one arm, and put it in its mouth. Then, with its two free arms, it caught a new fly in each! :blink: What would you call that? "Double fisted-face stuffed"? :lol:
how about incredible hungry :lol: :p

Gets even better when the mantis gets bigger :p

p7073630.jpg

like this :)

2587001790_9bed841879_o.jpg

I love when they do that. I often use my orchids for pest control (the flies keep getting everywhere!) and they'll down a good 30 flies each, doing the double fisted feed most of the time. I really need to get a picture of that sometime.

Latest posts