Drosophila Dispenser

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serle

Reaction score
For those who have a number of enclosures here is my answer to multiple feedings .  The D.D. ( Drosophila Dispenser )...........  S

Drosophila Dispenser.JPG

Drosophila Dispenser - 2.JPG

@Serle Always interesting to see how others tackle the husbandry care. :)

I'm curious as it is obviously not the FF culture itself, or showing it's use, how you are using it. Are you dumping the flies into your dispenser, or use the tube to get them in there? Then is the tube connected to a mantid habitat for feeding, or do you simply put the tube in through the habitat lid and shake flies out?

@Serle Always interesting to see how others tackle the husbandry care. :)

I'm curious as it is obviously not the FF culture itself, or showing it's use, how you are using it. Are you dumping the flies into your dispenser, or use the tube to get them in there? Then is the tube connected to a mantid habitat for feeding, or do you simply put the tube in through the habitat lid and shake flies out?
This time of year is a breeze to wrangle drosophila , I take the culture out on the deck instantly  they are quite manageable . Then decant  in the amount of flies needed for a couple days , no escapees . I build feeder doors in my mantid apts.  for ease of access.

Drosophila culture.JPG

Drosophila disp..JPG

Drosophila disp. 2.JPG

Mantid Apt..JPG

This time of year is a breeze to wrangle drosophila , I take the culture out on the deck instantly  they are quite manageable . Then decant  in the amount of flies needed for a couple days , no escapees . I build feeder doors in my mantid apts.  for ease of access.
Thanks for sharing, that clears up the details. Nice to see something besides the common funnel method, or a quick fly dump dreaded escape ridden method. :D

Certainly is , I have the table out there . I can uncap a container without the mad stampede of drosophila out the top.  Even in summer I don't worry about the escapees they aren't inside............. S