Drosophila melanogaster culture turning pink.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
I have had alot of luck with making my own fruit fly cultures. There are plenty of flies being produced and they seem fine. However, the fact that the medium is turning pink is worrying me. It has never happened to me before. Could it be Serratia marcescens? Maybe a product of the yeast?

Has anyone had this happen and still had plenty of producing flies?

I had that happen over a year ago, I can't remember what medium I was using but I think it was one I made from a recipe here, the ff's made it fine but it was gross so I switched to joshsfrogs medium and I never had a issue again, joshs smells good enough to eat, like apple cinnamon, even when the cultures die down and expire they have almost no smell or mold plus the ff's do very well and really boom.

But if you really what to make your own some extra honey and vinegar should help with mold issues but you'll need more oatmeal or whatever your base ingredient is to keep it thick. :)

Nick, my Josh's frogs media molds within 2 days. I don't think it affects production, but it's gross. I've tried bottled and tap water, and it is all the same.

Try using half water half vinegar to mix your media and make sure its really hot it will flash boil any living mites and eggs in there. Vinegar will help prevent the mold. As for it turning pink its likely mold and it could be too dry as well.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
My new fave is the Mikhails Dino's whatever the dudes name is it rocks!!!!!!

No disgusto smell!!!!!

I am down with it from now on! I ordered some from Rebecca but on her directions it says 1 of whatever size spoon of vinegar and I believe he says 2.

I did his instructions and will be buying my own Masa from here on out.

He has instructions in the food and feeding forum.

It's basically Masa, apple sauce, vinegar and honey.

This was the only time I had it turn pink.

I usually use vinegar in my mixes, but this time I added honey as well. I don't exactly measure all the ingredients that I use, so I guess it is hit or miss. I have always had good results as far as cultures producing, their consistency, and never had mold.

I was trying to find out if going pink is a common issue in homemade recipes, or if it is dangerous to my pets or myself.

Im not sure Id consider it dangerous to the pets unless it kills the flies. The pink may mold, it could be oxygenation and the drying of the media its impossible to know especially with you not using a controlled media mix.

I prefer Carolinas medium. It has mold inhibitor.

Not sure about the pink stuff.

I had a culture once that produced mold and my fruit flies were extra plump. There was mold all over and it looked as if the maggots were eating the mold. I don't think all mold is bad, but I stopped trying to mimic that culture. I just couldn't replicate it.

I fed ff's from moldy oranges and grapefruit with no problems. :D

jspider009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh I wouldn't want to feed any mold to my mantid's.
I didn't feed mold to my mantids. The maggots ate a bunch of the mold. They grew plump and pupated. There wasn't much left of the mold left for ffs. Not sure if they'd eat it anyway. Luckily there was enough mold eaten for ffs to get to the food under it.

Nick, my Josh's frogs media molds within 2 days. I don't think it affects production, but it's gross. I've tried bottled and tap water, and it is all the same.
Not sure why yours would mold up so quickly, I guessing you keep them in a heated area? Forgot to mention I add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and a splash of honey to each culture both inhibit mold and I keep them at room temp away from direct light/heat which helps, only expired ff's, larva casings and scat are left in all my dead cultures. I wouldn't say mold free but close to it and none in the first few weeks.

The mold count in your area and or house could be effecting them.

left to right: 2 day, 6 day, 4 weeks and almost expired.

DSCF0947_zps1c864f3e.jpg

Ok I believe you're not over there trying to feed everybody mold.

I just can't stand stinky FF culture. I have a very delicate hill billy nose.

The least offensive so far has been the Masa mix. The Masa mix actually smells pretty good.The local place here also has one that's dreamy but I have not gotten the dish on that yet.

That said I haven't used very many different ones because I do have access to local stuff if I have an emergency.

It actually was a version of the masa mix. Instead of apple sauce I used banana and the masa was already mixed and ready for tamales. Left over from Christmas I think. Despite the mold it smelled like banana bread.

Now I just use instant potatoes, yeast, sugar, vinegar, and water. Works great. Only smells like vinegar if you stick your nose right in it.

mold wont kill the flies, trust me, just makes one worry, I use vinegar and real fruit when I get it, look in supermarket for reduced fruit going old and you can get a good deal on it. Only thing that hurts the flies really bad is mites. they are everywhere, so it is real fight. Thank God I am mite free in the cultures. All mixes are good as the flies will eat whatever u give them. so don't fret!

Latest posts