Drosophila Melanogaster FF wingless mutating wings?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moosashi

Reaction score
I've been noticing fruit flies flying around my house lately in the kitchen and my room. Is it possible that my wingless fruit flies developed wings already somehow? I started the first culture back at the end of November. What do I do if they developed wings? They certainly were not kept at 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher and I don't think flying fruit flies could have gotten in around their sponge stoppers, can they?

I've been noticing fruit flies flying around my house lately in the kitchen and my room. Is it possible that my wingless fruit flies developed wings already somehow? I started the first culture back at the end of November. What do I do if they developed wings? They certainly were not kept at 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher and I don't think flying fruit flies could have gotten in around their sponge stoppers, can they?
had any fruit in your house recently or now ? they will magically appear if the fruit sits too long it seems .. which is sort of GROSS if you think about it .. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
After many generations they do regain the ability to fly. I have to completely replace all my flies every six months or so because of this very reason.

After many generations they do regain the ability to fly. I have to completely replace all my flies every six months or so because of this very reason.
lol thefruitflyshop.com just emailed me back saying "no, our wingless variety cannot regain the ability to fly. Flying fruit flies in your house may be attracted to the smell of the culture bottles." However, I only bought this first culture in November so they shouldn't be flying yet I guess.

They will regain the ability to fly if their offspring is the result of mating with the fly that has not been genetically modified.

I can assure you over time they start flying again. They're not going to tell you that because they're in a business to make money.

The flightless can fly at high temperatures and always have limited flight ability (the same for generation 1 or 1,000) but aren't likely to be found around the house because most houses aren't kept well above room temperature. I've had mine hundreds of generations and I've never seen reversion. Of course the wingless and crinkled wings will never fly. You can find details on fruit fly genetics on the web. The chance of a random mutation restoring missing flight capabilities is on par with winning the lottery twice. Of course if your cultures become contaminated with wild flies at any point the colony reverts quickly since the mutations are weaker.

I can assure you over time they start flying again. They're not going to tell you that because they're in a business to make money.
They always start flying and I know my cultures are not contaminated. It takes a long time, but it happens. Most of the 'fliers' I get are from the wild and are attracted to the culture. I only get the occasional flier and only in the summer. I find mine start 'hopping' several generations before flight. They get scrawny and take to the air and must be replaced. I certainly respect Orin's findings and being a scientific type myself, would tend to agree had I not experienced it repeatedly. I'm very skeptical - but I really think these flies start flying all alone.

I think they do undergo changes rapidly as they breed because I think my flies started out really light in color, almost transparent, and now their bodies are mostly black and banded, so much so that I find myself staring hard at the flies inside the containers wondering if I'll see wings suddenly atop those dark bodies :eek:

These guys are absolutely right. I live in an apartment and we have some really strict rules about pets and such which is why mantids are the perfect little guys for me. I ordered from the same place but used to re-order after a month or so. When I started keeping my own cultures and neglected to renew the batch, I noticed those little things in my living room and kitchen which are kind of connected so it's understandable how they got to the kitchen (which I keep very clean). It was due to the fact that I got a bit cheap and learned a valuable lesson. They may be neutered but they Do regain their ability to fly if you don't keep new batches of enhanced flies. I have since grafduated to crickets and more recently, meal worms. Once in a while I'll order a batch of Hydei ff. Kind of scared to chance anything larger here in the crib. I think it would be different if i were in a house. But, who knows maybe one day... <_<

Latest posts