Drosophila virilis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in a fruit fly lab and there are some of these wild in there. I've caught some and they seem to be easy to culture. The larvae are huge.

I work in a fruit fly lab and there are some of these wild in there. I've caught some and they seem to be easy to culture. The larvae are huge.
How large are the adults? I've been unable to find exact measurements online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not totally sure if they're this exact species, but the ones I'm finding are about 1.75x the size of Hydei. Still smaller than house flies by a good amount.

I'm not totally sure if they're this exact species, but the ones I'm finding are about 1.75x the size of Hydei. Still smaller than house flies by a good amount.
Interesting. I might buy some D. virilus then and give them a try. Thanks for your response!

Too bad there aren't any fruit flies that are closer to the size of house flies. That would make feeding mantids infinitely easier.

This article describes the Hawaiian "picture-wing" FF species, "........many (of which) are about the size of common houseflies." Sounds like they're called Drosophila parkinsi, but possibly an endangered species.

https://books.google.com/books?id=gw0EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=%22largest+drosophila+species%22&source=bl&ots=gIQH6Szz4m&sig=RSjAEnlTHeDRVZLa2nEqWaPlBzM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1lY7a29bKAhXLRiYKHWLZDUYQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=%22largest%20drosophila%20species%22&f=false

If they can breed flightless mutants, why can't they breed house fly sized mutants?
The flightless mutants only vary from wildtype by a single gene, and that gene is recessive, so if you have a population of flightless flies the flying variant won't come back without a new mutation.

Latest posts