Dusting flies before feeding?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swords

Reaction score
I bought some powdered Bee Pollen and Honey Powder to dust my flies with before feeding out and I was wondering, does this keep the flies from flying/using their wings or do they shake it off and resume flight after a few moments?

I also mixed some of this BP/HP in with the dry milk/sugar for the flies and my roach/cricket chow so all the insects will get the benefit of it. Is anyone else using this vitamin supplement stuff or am I just being a fancy pants? LOL

When I did this I noticed that most of it just fell right off. These days I just ensure that my flies are eating well when I feed them honey.

I mix it in almost everything I make to sell, they all seem to like it. I noticed something funny the other day too, I fed an orchid a wasp from outside I caught, and she seemed to be cleaning off it's legs before she ate it?

House flies and bluebottle flies are both natural pollinators, but it's best to dust them by shaking them in a jar with a lid. Most of the pollen will fall to the bottom of the jar and can be used on the next batch.

Bees are the serious pollen carriers, though, and aside from the hairs on their bodies, they have a pouch on each hind leg to hold more: http://www.vegetus.o...oney/pollen.htm Yum!

OK, good I mixed it with in my fly food and into my cricket/roach chow so they're all eating it now. It'll be easier than dusting flies for sure! LOL