Earth Worm

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.way

Reaction score
Hi all, from my observation on this creature, it does comes out of the ground when the surrounding on the surface is cooling and dark like night time or early morning(under bushy area with shade), does it comes under the thought of any one as a food source for mantis considering that both mantis and earth worm do have the chance to face each other?

I cant see any reason why they would not meet in the wild. I'm sure a mantis would have no problem making a meal out of one of them, if it came apon one. I have never fed one to my mantids only because it would seem like a messy meal. I can picture the mantid cleaning it self for 10 hours after eating one. :lol: I also feel the same way about slugs, just to messy!

so it is a yes for mantis to feed on earth worm right? I could imagine how messy it is because of the sluggy liquid in earth worm, will try it out tomorrow and update you people how it will end up then

I've fed a couple of earthworms to an adult T. sinensis female when nothing else was available. She seemed to enjoy it. You can get them to come out by drenching an area of your yard grass and waiting... or after a rain. They usually come out when it's wet to keep their exterior from drying out.

I've never used them as feeders, but I don't see why they wouldn't be good food for a mantis. They definitely wouldn't be as messy as a big juicy caterpillar! I could be wrong, but aren't earthworms just long, squiggly, little muscles with guts? Ya know...mostly protein?

All Summer after each rain I would go pick one up off of the driveway for my T. sinensis. He seemed to enjoy them quite a bit, and if you're catching most of the food for your pets it's a good way to get a lot of food in them for a few days.

Thanks for all the explesite pictures of the messy worms.....lol

My grandson and I got some for my mantis, but it bothered me to much to see them wiggle, we threw them back out. :eek:

Latest posts