earwigs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
earwigs should be ok, but they do tend to run under things and prefer not to climb around much.

Mine will sometimes venture down to take woodlice, devils coach houses and earwigs but they prefer moths and butterflies really

I can't stand feeding mine butterflies. It rends my heart to rip the beautiful things wings off.
not sure why you would want to take the wings off myself... kinda makes feeding them the things pointless.

I do buy butterfly cysalis ready to hatch however so not taking the beauties out of my garden ;) but its pretty rare that I buy them fopr my mantis (maybe once every month at max)

and we get loads of moths in the house, mostly fabric moths, though plenty of others!

Sometimes the mantid is a little small for the butterfly, and the butterfly's wings bash the mantid. Moths have much smaller wings (at least the one's I catch for them)

I would consider most mantis able to handle a butterfly or moth with ease, the first thing they do is bite the wings off in most cases I have observed, and usually the butterflies are pinned shut and cannot flap them whatsoever.

But its very thoughtfull of you to take their wings off so they do not get bashed on the head.

I would consider most mantis able to handle a butterfly or moth with ease, the first thing they do is bite the wings off in most cases I have observed, and usually the butterflies are pinned shut and cannot flap them whatsoever.But its very thoughtfull of you to take their wings off so they do not get bashed on the head.
:lol: :lol:

You wouldn't believe some of the size comparances between the some mantids and a butterfly :lol:

Latest posts