EASTERN LUBBER GRASSHOPPER

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat39

Reaction score
This is another species that is native to the U.S.A. that I think is overlooked. Until recently, I never knew that a grasshopper THIS COLORFUL ever even existed here. The only ones I usually see are always dull in color or just plain green. I suppose that is what helps them blend in with their background and results in their survival.

The Easter Lubber Grasshopper, on the other hand, is very BIG and COLORFUL! They are built like tanks! They can't even fly! I think the colors help warn predators off, letting them know that they are either poisonous or taste horrible.

Over in the Southeast, these guys are so plentiful that they are considered pests! They may be pests over there, but I've never seen one in my life over here. I even talked to someone who told me that they kill at least 10 every single day by chopping them in half with their sheers. This person, however, would not agree to send me any and thought that it was more fun to just chop their heads off.. hahahaha!

If we can't have exotic phasmids, why not play with extremely colorful grasshoppers instead? THEY EAT ANYTHING! :)

Another species that is "cheap as dirt" here. Unfortunately, I only have a couple males with no females in sight. :(

this is mostly a mantis site. I kill whatever grasshoppers i find =P dont really know there purpose in the grant scheme of things.

Hey Kitkat, those grasshoppers are gorgeous. However they would also make some lovely fishing bait :lol:

In Southern Saskatchewan (a few hours east of here) there are some beautiful grasshoppers I know are called rainbow grasshoppers (they have a more common name but I forget). Thier range is probably even further south into the US. Anyways they have some striking patterns that make you wonder how they ever surive in the wild (at least out of a very specific habitat).

4098551924_1644db5fe2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally into grasshoppers and that is definitely one of the pet-worthy US species. And I agree about them as a replacement for phasmid pets. If it's in your backyard, it's yours!

Throw up some more photos when they mature!

Hey Kitkat, those grasshoppers are gorgeous. However they would also make some lovely fishing bait :lol:

In Southern Saskatchewan (a few hours east of here) there are some beautiful grasshoppers I know are called rainbow grasshoppers (they have a more common name but I forget). Thier range is probably even further south into the US. Anyways they have some striking patterns that make you wonder how they ever surive in the wild (at least out of a very specific habitat).

4098551924_1644db5fe2.jpg
Haha! let me know where they are plentiful and I'm sure I could talk SOMEONE into sending me some. ;-)

I'm totally into grasshoppers and that is definitely one of the pet-worthy US species. And I agree about them as a replacement for phasmid pets. If it's in your backyard, it's yours!

Throw up some more photos when they mature!
Hey I'm glad SOMEBODY here agrees with me! :lol:

We have the lubbers down here, I love grasshoppers, but I also love feeding them to my chameleons. As Im sure Steve knows ^. I wish we could find more that aren't toxic. Most colorful grasshoppers have toxins that keep predators at bay, even though they stand out in their enironment.

We have the lubbers down here, I love grasshoppers, but I also love feeding them to my chameleons. As Im sure Steve knows ^. I wish we could find more that aren't toxic. Most colorful grasshoppers have toxins that keep predators at bay, even though they stand out in their enironment.
Yeah these guys seem like they could care less about me being around. Most grasshoppers here fly away so fast from the sight of anything bigger than them coming into their space. It reminds me of those little dart frogs.. so puny, yet so colorful and brave!

Hi Ryan,

your Grasshopper is Dactylotum bicolor and is distributed in Mexico and Arizonas. I would love to get them! If anybody have an Idea were I could get them from, let me know. I'm wiling to pay or changing to other Inverts.

Here in europe just establishing a Orthoptera community with more enthusiasts every day. I culture orthoptera about 10 years, so I'm much happy, that these little amazing Insects with a high colour-spectrum and incredible behavior get more popular. We could bring many new species in culture in the last years. And I hope that also many species are follow.

For about 7 years the lubbar hoppers was in culture in germany breeded over some generation without problems but unfortunately they're lost. Last years some peoples get them again but the most died for adulut stadium... :(

I hope to get anytime new ones and have a chance for breeding and establish a stabil stock.

Here some Orthoptera impressions ;) :

Phymateus stolli, adult:

Zonocerus variegata, adult male:

Enyaliopsis petersi:

Tropidacris collaris, Nymph

Zonocerus elegans (short winged), female

Pseudorhynchus lanceolata

Poekilocerus pictus (Nymph)

Aularches milliaris:

More pictures you can find in the link in my signature

Greetings from Germany

Chris

Very nice specimens! I may have found myself a new hobby. =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts