easy --> hardest

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisMart

Reaction score
Hello! Although I have been obsessing over this hobby for 5 months now, I still consider myself quite new. I am going to try and start breeding and selling on my website soon. I think it's best for me to start from easiest, to hardest. If any 1 knows, I would love a list of the easiest to hardest mantids to raise and breed. Obviously there are way too many species to list them all, but just the ones you know about is fine. I mostly care about the breeding difficulty as I am doing well so far at keeping them alive. I think this list could also help a lot of people start there collection! Thanks for the time

I have almost nothing to say here, except that you sure as anything shouldn't try breeding Europeans. I've been trying for years and I still haven't succeeded. Plus every L1 European I've ever had has died. If you ever find a secret way to raise Europeans without killing them, though, you should market that - I'd sure buy it. 

The easiest mantids to breed are the communal ones as they almost never eat each other during breeding. And btw be careful when selling on your website as I had to get a permit to sell live harmless invertebrates on a website. 

The easiest mantids to breed are the communal ones as they almost never eat each other during breeding. And btw be careful when selling on your website as I had to get a permit to sell live harmless invertebrates on a website. 
how did u get ur permit?

I filed a claim on the department of agriculture website they declined it so I went to my local Burrough and they issued me one.

Wait so do people not need permits most of the time to sell mantises? Im confused if you need one or not really.

I've read that if you are just buying/selling domestically then you are okay, but if there is an importing/exporting going on (particularly the importing) then you need a permit. I'm not positive this is correct but it seems legitimate. 

In reality all non-native/non-naturalized mantids are illegal to possess and sell without a proper PPQ526 permit (and likely approved containment facility) from the USDA/APHIS. They may be legal in your state or region but under federal regulations it is still illegal without one. Granted enforcement for the most part is lacking, but if you own or have sold exotic mantids without that PPQ526 you are already in the grey zone of this hobby.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Granted enforcement for the most part is lacking, but if you own or have sold exotic mantids without that PPQ526 you are already in the grey zone of this hobby.
I'm also interested in the legalities of selling and buying various insects.

Would you say the lack of enforcement is how most sellers continue with their businesses, even though they know their activity can be traced online? Additionally, do you think that the loophole is the state/region having the authorization to say what insects are and aren't legal to obtain and sell?

Thank you for sharing!

The reason that probably hundreds of people haven't been busted is that APHIS doesn't have the resources or the time to enforce the regulations. I hear stories of APHIS agents showing up at people's houses and finding stuff that is clearly illegal, but not confiscating anything, likely due to differing interpretations of the law. I think APHIS also recognizes that a lot of things aren't a threat, such as millipedes and most roaches, and therefore won't do anything about it unless you are caught brown-boxing (<--this is probably where most of their work is done) or are in a zone with zealous enforcers. As an example, Bugs In Cyberspace has been on APHIS's radar for years, but has no qualms with Peter selling various exotic millipedes, isopods, assassin bugs, mantids even.

That's a good question, and while it may be legal under your state's laws, they are still illegal under federal law, and the USDA/APHIS is a federal agency.

Thanks,

Arthroverts 

@Arthroverts I wonder why APHIS has so many regulations. I wonder what they think people are trying to do exactly once they obtain these insects. I understand worrying about infestations due to releasing and overpopulating a species (especially non native)- but most of us are just trying out hobbies and want to advance with different species. 

Regardless, it sounds like it's a gamble to start a business in selling insects because of the permits and ever-changing laws. I wonder how Peter has managed to stay out of any trouble for so long. This business is still so fascinating to me though, and I don't feel deterred just yet.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge :)

Well, I don't think APHIS is directly responsible for the regulations, for the life of me I still can't find the exact statute/law that covers this, but most/all insects, diplopods, isopods, etc. were blanket banned back in 2006...maybe it was the Plant Protection Act that Congress passed? Anyways, it was a poorly researched piece of legislation, as evidenced by the fact that things that eat decomposing wood and leaves are counted as "agricultural pests". It is good we have regulations to protect both agriculture and environments from the scourge of Achatina, some phasmids, etc. (despite how badly I want them...*sigh*), but overall it needs to be revised.

After 2006, the laws have not changed since the 2018 deregulation of three species of Goliathus, followed by the 2019 deregulation of a small number of insects, notably a handful of larger species often used as feeders.

Again, I think APHIS recognizes that they shouldn't throw enforcement after species that do not pose a threat to agriculture, which is why BIC, Roach Crossing, Mantid Kingdom, etc. haven't had problems.

Thanks,

Arthroverts