Eating again after a molt? (orchid mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andredesz

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My oldest female orchid mantis finally molted into adulthood. It's been four days and she hasn't eaten yet. Can anyone let me know if they have experienced this long a delay in eating after a molt? I've had different types of mantises, and I've noticed they usually eat a couple days after a molt. I have been misting her area, so she's drinking, just not eating yet.

3661390088_04ba772e27.jpg

Also, how long should I wait before I attempt to mate her?

Thanks so much!

Carol A

I wouldn't worry too much about her not eating yet... she's likely to get her appetite back at any time now. ;) I would wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe three, before attempting to mate her. She's beautiful, btw!!! Best of luck with the mating! :D

I wouldn't worry too much about her not eating yet... she's likely to get her appetite back at any time now. ;) I would wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe three, before attempting to mate her. She's beautiful, btw!!! Best of luck with the mating! :D
Thanks Becky, you are always so encouraging!

:)

Carol

She is a beauty. Normal for them not to eat. Give her some more time.

Very nice! She should be good to go in a couple of weeks or so. I still have those males if you end up needing them :) .

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses and say that Mei is eating quite heartily now. And it did take exactly a week. I hand-fed her a couple flies in the meantime, but as for catching her own food, it was about 7 days before I witnessed it. I agree that the last molt is the most traumatic.

-Carol

They do take awhile, I just got mine to take a moth apiece. U need to wait 5 to 6 weeks before mating them.
Ahhh... thanks for the advice on waiting 5 to 6 weeks to mate them, Rebecca. :D I'll try to remember that for future use (when and if I ever get some that I don't accidentally kill before they've even had a chance to reach adult!) :rolleyes:
blush.gif

Latest posts