Egg Bound... again

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaywo

Reaction score
I'm just not doing something correctly. Lost my beautiful Orchid because she wouldn't lay her ooth and now my favorite Violin, Violet, is doing the same.

I got some advice from you all that if I let her roam, it might do the trick, so I made this set up. How many days should I leave her "out"? I let my Orchid in a another larger cage for four days and it didn't work. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for her. She is on the older side... about 14 months but seems content, she mated and eating up a storm.

IMG_3173.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry she is eggbound! I have a violin, Valentine, who is eggbound as well. Let me know if you find a solution, I really want Val to lay! She is young, and I want to get many ooths out of her but I am afraid I cannot now!

- MantisGirl13

I am sorry she is eggbound! I have a violin, Valentine, who is eggbound as well. Let me know if you find a solution, I really want Val to lay! She is young, and I want to get many ooths out of her but I am afraid I cannot now!

- MantisGirl13
I'll let you know if the whole, outdoor indoor trick works for her. Sorry about Val. Just sucks to seem them so uncomfortable.

I'll let you know if the whole, outdoor indoor trick works for her. Sorry about Val. Just sucks to seem them so uncomfortable.
Thanks! I know, I hate to see them eggbound! I think I may have kept her a bit too warm so she became eggbound. :(  

- MantisGirl13

I am wondering: Do they choose not to lay their eggs, or is it something else? 🤔

Cochise was eggbound after her first ooth, she never layed a second. I hope your mantids will both lay soon @MantisGirl13and @Jaywo

In Orin's book, Keeping the Praying Mantis, he says:

"It is possible to induce a picky female. If a mated female has a greatly expanded abdomen and seems overdue, misting a few times a day to increase the humidity may work. If higher humidity does not help, she can be moved to a larger cage, placed in a terrarium with multiple laying areas, or 'free ranged' on a houseplant. Sometimes she will find a good spot within a half hour. If, after a few days and environments, she still refuses to lay, you can try restricting her feeding or mating her again. Allowing her to process the food already in the abdomen may help since extreme obesity can be a culprit. If none of these work, there is probably nothing that can be done."

Hope that helps you guys! Good luck with the ooth laying ❤️🤞

Last edited by a moderator:
In Orin's book, Keeping the Praying Mantis, he says:

"It is possible to induce a picky female. If a mated female has a greatly expanded abdomen and seems overdue, misting a few times a day to increase the humidity may work. If higher humidity does not help, she can be moved to a larger cage, placed in a terrarium with multiple laying areas, or 'free ranged' on a houseplant. Sometimes she will find a good spot within a half hour. If, after a few days and environments, she still refuses to lay, you can try restricting her feeding or mating her again. Allowing her to process the food already in the abdomen may help since extreme obesity can be a culprit. If none of these work, there is probably nothing that can be done."

Hope that helps you guys! Good luck with the ooth laying ❤️🤞
Oh, yes, I just read it again in his book. Thank you so much for the reminder. I will restrict the diet as that is the very last resort I have. I really do not know why they become eggbound. If I had to guess, it's probably something in the environment that isn't right but sometimes there are just too many factors to determine what they are.

Thanks, @Graceface! I have been misting her more often and such, but I need to find a good place to let her free-range as she cannot grip most of the surfaces in my bedroom and I don't want her to fall.

- MantisGirl13

@MantisGirl13 Violet laid a massive one today that was at least 2". I took the make out of the room, "freeranged" her and increased heat and humidity. I notices she kept trying to climb towards the light bulb and when she did, she would just tuck herself under it. It was very hot so I increased the heat and she laid her ooth later in the evening after basking in the heat all day.

So very relieved. I don't even care about the ooth. I just didn't want her to die prematurely.
Oh for sure. We invest too much energy and hope into these little animals to not give them every opportunity to succeed.

Hope your ooth is fertile and you have many baby nymphs!

Ok, then there is still hope for my Valentine! I will set up a giant net cage for her and put lots of sticks in. Can we see a picture of the proud momma of a giant ooth?

- MantisGirl13

So very relieved. I don't even care about the ooth. I just didn't want her to die prematurely.
Good she layed her ooth. Then she won't die👍

Ok, then there is still hope for my Valentine! I will set up a giant net cage for her and put lots of sticks in. Can we see a picture of the proud momma of a giant ooth?
 I hope valenine will lay soon too.

Latest posts