Eggs coming out of ootheca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziiggy's Insectarium

Reaction score
So idk if I'm doing something wrong but in one of my ooth containers there are two things that look like mantis eggs at the bottom on the paper towel. Any one have any ideas how I can get this to stop or knows what's happening

I think we need to see a picture before we can tell you anything.

- MantisGirl13

Ok. I hope it is nothing that will keep the ooth from hatching!

- MantisGirl13

Just so anyone who is interested in knowing i believe i kept them a little too warm for a little bit which caused some of them to hatch prematurely so idk if those individuals will make it and i also dont know if the whole ooth is compromised so i will try to keep this updated.

Some hatched? If only a small amount hatched, that’s not a bad sign, that’s actually a good one! Usually a couple or a few nymphs will hatch a day or 2 in advance of the rest of the nymphs. So if you had a few nymphs hatch today that means that the big hatch is coming soon!

Some hatched? If only a small amount hatched, that’s not a bad sign, that’s actually a good one! Usually a couple or a few nymphs will hatch a day or 2 in advance of the rest of the nymphs. So if you had a few nymphs hatch today that means that the big hatch is coming soon!
20181023_160735.jpg

They arnt nymphs though they just look like little larval mantids

Oh wow. I’ve never seen that before... very strange like @MantisGirl13 said. Just keep regularly caring for it, hopefully things will still go fine

I've been really interested by this thread...is there a visible opening in the ootheca? Is anything more coming out of it?

I don't see why the mantids would or even could emerge early if they were kept too warm. I get that a premature hatch could take place, but those would look more like nymphs, right?

I've been really interested by this thread...is there a visible opening in the ootheca? Is anything more coming out of it?
Like Ziiggy's Insectarium said earlier, he didn't see an opening in the ooth where they emerged. It is quite an interesting thread!

- MantisGirl13