Eggsack? Type?- ID by picture?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glove

Reaction score
Pretty sure his is a type of mantis eggsack I found on the lid of my burn barrel last week....

MVC-806F.jpg

MVC-805F.jpg

This reminded me of days long ago, when my grandmother used to keep prayinig mantis. We used to feed them raw hamburger on a string or toothpick. Seemed that always, every year there were several large ones that hung out by her front door- almost as if they knew where a free meal was gong to be. I always loved feeding them.

I never knew there were others who found these things so interesting and kept them.

I look forward to seeing this hatch.

I have always tried to keep an eye open for the 'oothecas'. I think this is the first 'carolina' I have found. Seems the ones I am more familiar with are the rounded type, chinese species?

How many different ones do we have here in this part of the US? Are the Carolinas uncommon?

I dunno how many kinds we have here. I found an adult today stuck on the side of a house I was working at.

Ill try to snap some shots later.

looks almost like the egg my Mantis religiosa laid a couple months back even. Are there European Mantids in indiana?
Its not from a european. That one is a stagmomantis ootheca.

Latest posts