Emergency fruitfly advice

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdawg

Reaction score
I have a fruit fly colony, but no flies. There's are so many pupae ready to pop, but might be another day or 2. Is there anything I can do to speed up their hatching? Or should I go get some micro crickets or something in the meantime? https://anonimage.net/image/Z68nYJ9nvB here was a a pupa taken last night. You can see the features of the fly, but I'm in a panic because although my guys have just eaten, I worry they won't hatch in time. If I put them in direct sunlight for a while, will that help them hatch?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mantis really needs to be fed bad then take one of the pupa and break it so there is some of the goo outside. Then, hold it to the mantises mouth to coax him to eat.

If you mantis really needs to be fed bad then take one of the pupa and break it so there is some of the goo outside. Then, hold it to the mantises mouth to coax him to eat.
Would that work? If I place it in a hotter place, will they hatch quicker? I'll probably end up getting some micro crickets, that's all the local place has that's suitable I think. 

They've just eaten today, I'm more concerned about over the weekend, I didn't expect the colony to take so long and all the flies to die in 5 days. Worried about them not liking crickets

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to speed up the culture put them in a hotter temp. But I wouldn’t worry about your mantis. If they are nice and plump they can last a while. I feed my L3 ocellata every 3-4 days by just stuffing them. 

If you want to speed up the culture put them in a hotter temp. But I wouldn’t worry about your mantis. If they are nice and plump they can last a while. I feed my L3 ocellata every 3-4 days by just stuffing them. 
Ok cool, they're plumper than they were a week ago, but still tiny L3 mios. I handfed a squished pupa, they loved it. I'll give them banana next, or honey. I hear they go crazy for honey. 

I always keep a back up culture of feeders. sometimes fly cultures disapate then hatch and repopulate a few days later.

Latest posts