Emergency Leaking Fluid From Claw

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissim Klaw

Reaction score
Merlin injured her claw a few days back. I don't know exactly what she did but I noticed she couldn't seem to open all the way though she was otherwise using it and going around normally. It wasn't that huge of a shocker since she is over a year old and I know the older ones can get brittle toward the end of their lives.

Well tonight I just discovered she is now leaking fluid out of the joint of her claw. It has me surprised. Usually insects bodies are able to deal with even an entire limb being ripped out without much trouble. I am torn wondering if there is anything I can do for her. If it were elsewhere I might be tempted to use a little dab of super glue to try and stop the oozing, but being her front claw she will be sure to preen the area.

She seems out of it. She just tried to clean her antenna and went through all the motions only she was still holding it and never got it to her mouth but pulled it to the side and completely missed. I tried to give her some water to keep her hydrated but she flails her claws and gets highly aggravated at any moisture to her mandibles.

Update- She passed away but thank you to those who stopped in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no choice but to super glue the area. She would have just bleed out at the rate she was going. I think I got it patched She still won't take water despite desperately needing the fluid.

i think she is close to the end. you are doing everything right. try offering honey.

It does sound she is close buddy, trying keeping her enclosure more humid than normal to keep those brittle old limbs hydrated as much as you can. If you can offer a little more heat it could make her Journey a little easier. Or you can always dispatch her if you feel its to harsh on her :(

Thank you those who posted. Sadly Merlin passed shortly after my last post. I don't think the claw was the problem but simply a symptom of her body shutting down do to old age. She literally fell apart. It was hard loosing her on Christmas Eve/Christmas morning, but she was a joy to know.

Rest in peace my sweet girl.

MerlinFarewell.jpg

oh my god that is the best looking macrops i have ever seen. i am so sorry :(