Empusa fasciata ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisherman_Brazil

Reaction score
Empusa fasciata ?

Traded an ooth a couple months ago, as the photo shown. I am told this is Empusa fasciata wild-collected from Romania, could this be true?

P1010102.jpg

P1010097.jpg

P1010096.jpg

The nymphs remind me lot of Orthodera sp.actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way that nymphs an empusidae
Neither the nymphs look like an empusa sp. to me , but the ooth does. Too bad is many (50 or so) did come out from the ooth this morning!

Thanks for the response, Morpheus uk.

Luke

No way that is Empusa of any species !

Who did you buy the ootheca from, 'coz the exact same thing happened to me last year ?

That is not Empusidae at all! They are very distinct, you can tell that this is some other species. Lookes like you have been deceived, or it's just a mistake.

Just thought the head looked like one of those ameles sp, howed yo spell it?

That is not Empusidae at all! They are very distinct, you can tell that this is some other species. Lookes like you have been deceived, or it's just a mistake.
So it is almost ascertained, not Empusidae of any knid. Then what could possibly be?

Hi

I think that this ooth are exactly than Iris oratoria or Iris Sp., no empusa pennata,or fasciata

And the nimphs are really similar to Iris sp,but Im not sure... :mellow:

regards

It really looks like an Iris oratoria ooth. It can't be from Romania then, as this species doesn't occur there.

Thanks all for the timely response and help. We can now psitively that this is Iris oratoria or similar.

Sorry to hear about it Bro Luke. Here are several pics of E. fasciata ooth from my female, it has rows of little spike on the ooth.

ooth3.jpg

ooth4.jpg

but when freshly layed the ooth has milky appearance and foamy too.

another crappy pic

ooth2.jpg

When trading ooth, i usually request for the ooth pic. SOmetimes i receive some professional ooth pics downloaded from the net and that immediately gives me a red flag!

I can give the positive ID on the ooth and nymphs... Definitely Iris sp.. The ooth looks exactly like the ones I have in stock now (except not hatched out yet).

Sorry to hear you got ripped off. :(

Latest posts