Enclosure Size

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of skulls for the mantid's enclosures, that I haven't put in yet. I just bought a set of tiny bones the other day as well lol. Thing is that I also have a few  things like that as part of my normal household decor   :p
Oh no not another one. :tt2:

Nice, glad to see there is at least another, I figured there had to be. The tiny bones sound interesting, I just wonder if a mantid could grab them.

I got one that I can't get rid of, that count? ;) Nearly 21 years ago on my right bicep/upper arm. Picture looks rough as I held out my camera (2.5 pound DLSR) with my left arm (I'm right handed) and in low light a few minutes ago. However now that really is getting off topic.

mytattoo.jpg

Peter (BugsInCyberspace) sells all sorts of goodies from skeletal remains, headstones, troll bridge, tree people, skulls, glowing mushrooms, and others for habitats. I figure when I find some spending money I'll have to fill up some habitats. ;) Is that where you got your tiny bones from?

Oh no not another one. :tt2:

Nice, glad to see there is at least another, I figured there had to be. The tiny bones sound interesting, I just wonder if a mantid could grab them.

I got one that I can't get rid of, that count? ;) Nearly 21 years ago on my right bicep/upper arm. Picture looks rough as I held out my camera (2.5 pound DLSR) with my left arm (I'm right handed) and in low light a few minutes ago. However now that really is getting off topic.

Peter (BugsInCyberspace) sells all sorts of goodies from skeletal remains, headstones, troll bridge, tree people, skulls, glowing mushrooms, and others for habitats. I figure when I find some spending money I'll have to fill up some habitats. ;) Is that where you got your tiny bones from?
Haha, cool tat! Yup, that counts. Tattoos you can't get rid of.. know the feeling.

Now you got me thinking about the mantis picking them up! Yup, the bones I was referring to are from BugsInCyberspace. I bought some mushrooms too. :D
I found them when I was looking for dried leaves for the terrariums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, cool tat! Yup, that counts. Tattoos you can't get rid of.. know the feeling.

Now you got me thinking about the mantis picking them up! Yup, the bones I was referring to are from BugsInCyberspace. I bought some mushrooms too. :D
Thanks, my one and only still in nearly 21 years. I always find something else where the $100-$200 or so can be better spent, but I'd like to have many more. ;)

I'm good for that lately - if a mantid does at worse it may taste one if accidentally picked-up while grabbing prey; however, it shouldn't be interested in them normally due to no movement, and especially after a exploratory taste. Talking out loud more than raising an alarm, as the mantid might do a bit of redecorating. :)

Okay nice glad you already found your way to the habitat decorations.

if a mantid does at worse it may taste one if accidentally picked-up while grabbing prey; however, it shouldn't be interested in them normally due to no movement, and especially after a exploratory taste. Talking out loud more than raising an alarm, as the mantid might do a bit of redecorating. :)
If worse comes to worst I'll add them to little jar for display  :lol:

If worse comes to worst I'll add them to little jar for display  :lol:
Always good to have a plan, but the mantid should treat it as nothing more than a loose stick. Some like to taste things quickly to be sure though, and it will not harm the mantid or the bone.

@CosbyArt Do you think polymer clay decor would be mantid safe?
Yes I would use it and not worry as it is non-toxic and inert. Store bought factory items or homemade items (like Sculpey) all should be fine as well, see here. Especially once the polymer clay has been cured after manufacturing there should be no issue. It is based/created from PVC plastic (polymer polyvinyl chloride) that house water pipes are made of too. See the link here, or here, and a direct quote...

Though polymer clay is certified "to contain no materials in sufficient quantities to be toxic or injurious to humans, including children, or to cause acute or chronic health problems, even if ingested," it is wise to keep it out of the reach of young children or pets who might try to eat it
That is from one site from a person that is worrying "what if", such as some ingredient unknown now but in 50 years may be found to cause a possible issue - among other various fears they have. They are also talking about the raw uncured polymer clay. More searching online is the same, people talking about the raw material, or worried about not being dishwasher safe after several uses due to the porous natural of non-glazed items.

As a mantid can not swallow it, the decor is not raw polymer clay, mantids are vastly different from our biology/physiology (and other mammals), and won't be around for many years for a issue to develop, or will extensively use/eat from/etc the decor item - I don't see any potential issue. ;)

Yes I would use it and not worry as it is non-toxic and inert. Store bought factory items or homemade items (like Sculpey) all should be fine as well, see here. Especially once the polymer clay has been cured after manufacturing there should be no issue. It is based/created from PVC plastic (polymer polyvinyl chloride) that house water pipes are made of too.
Yay, awesome! Now my decor options are endless!  :D  I can make some little glow in the dark mushrooms that I wanted, but were out of stock. And maybe a tiny headstone. Haha, with a zombie mantis? :p

https://starbrux.deviantart.com/art/Wallace-Z-OOAK-Zombie-Rat-545041972

Yay awesome! Now my decor options are endless :D  I can even make some little glow in the dark mushrooms that I wanted but were out of stock. And maybe a tiny headstone similar to below - oh maybe with a zombie mantis LOL 
Ha, I wondered how well those sold for Peter, guess he has trouble keeping them in stock. ;)

Yes if you sculpt items yourself you can do about anything. I'm curious to see what you will put together for your mantids. :D

A few things though, I would recommend not doing anything with a point (like the stretched out rat fingers in the photos), anything that is very narrow and long, or other possible brittle/breakable things. That is, again like the rat fingers, they could puncture a mantid if it fell from their perch, or get broken off and due to the small size could possibly be swallowed by the mantid.

A few things though, I would recommend not doing anything with a point (like the stretched out rat fingers in the photos), anything that is very narrow and long, or other possible brittle/breakable things. That is, again like the rat fingers, they could puncture a mantid if it fell from their perch, or get broken off and due to the small size could possibly be swallowed by the mantid.
Good call! I'll keep everything low, smooth, and rounded. :)  

There is plenty of skin art out there that needs to be covered up , just hang around   a Starbucks in summer and watch the picture show. I may have a few years on you , here's mine.

jacta alea est.JPG

There is plenty of skin art out there that needs to be covered up , just hang around   a Starbucks in summer and watch the picture show. I may have a few years on you , here's mine.
There is plenty of that everywhere. ;) You are a few years older on the tattoo or in age? I'll turn 39 this year, and got mine when a month after turning 18. Nice seems you expand beyond knickknacks too.

I figure I have to get at least one more tattoo, something related to my pets and life anymore. Perhaps some mix of a mantid and arachnid - I'll add it in with my "bug" budget that my wife calls it.

The gauge is a thermometer / hydrometer.  The little skeleton is holding my mantid mismoult mechanics tools.
Those are great, especially the digital ones for ease of use and to fine tune things. I know mine has aided me numerous times, and at least once to prevent a problem (excess heat/humidity). A great use for the skeleton, pulling double duty for the tools.

I'll turn 39 this year, and got mine when a month after turning 18.
I feel old! LOL... I was a slow tattoo bloomer. 29 when I got my first, with 4 more followed. Last year I got a tiny rat paw print on my hand. I do plan to get another tat. I may need to incorporate a mantis somehow! 

You know you're old (mature) when we say things like '' I have tattoo's older than You''.  I like the rat paw ............. if you find something mantis that's what I'm into next ....... S

If you makes either of you feel better my niece and three nephews think I'm an old man. ;) When they come over they want to look at my "bugs" and play arcade games.

Seems "old age" is relative for sure, as I know when I was younger when my mom turned 30 that was a big deal for her. I'm nearly 40 myself, and she will be 57 though so it has been awhile.

If you makes either of you feel better my niece and three nephews think I'm an old man. ;) When they come over they want to look at my "bugs" and play arcade games.

Seems "old age" is relative for sure, as I know when I was younger when my mom turned 30 that was a big deal for her. I'm nearly 40 myself, and she will be 57 though so it has been awhile.
I'm *cough* older than you, so I know what you mean! I thought 30 was ancient! Now, since I'm creeping toward it, I'm thinking 45 isn't that old after all :p  

I've been an Arborist most of my life and if it will make you feel any better 40 isn't old

IF YOU ARE A TREE ......... S

Latest posts