Eremiaphila sp a little picture heavy

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have loads of webspace and bandwidth from my webhost that's not being utilized. To give you an idea of how much I have, over 200GB space and over 2TB bandwidth. I'm not joking!

I have loads of webspace and bandwidth from my webhost that's not being utilized. To give you an idea of how much I have, over 200GB space and over 2TB bandwidth. I'm not joking!
Ogiga, thats , I bagged unlimited bandwidth ;)

Congrats Yen! They really do take the same form when hatchling as adult don't they.

Nice work.

Thanks guys. I didn't have to do much really, just provide plenty of heat to the ooth. They can run like those tiny crabs on the beach. Very Happy
Oh, so do they run sideways?

Thanks guys. I didn't have to do much really, just provide plenty of heat to the ooth. They can run like those tiny crabs on the beach. Very Happy
Oh, so do they run sideways?
No not quite. They have the ability to run at speed, but not in the same manner aw would an actual crab.

I think Yen meant it in the context of 'running quickly along sand'

Perhaps.

Lee

Lee, what kind of substrate are you using? It looks kinda like a mars landscape or something in your pictures. There are more chunks of the substrate than there are in Yen's sand.

The oldest one molted into L3 nymph and some have molted into L2 nymph. It appeared that this species is keen on fruit flies but not firebrate. I was worried they might not do well with just fruit flies but they "surprisingly" doing alright. i have been keeping them extremely warm (about to 45-50C) during daytime and there is no casualty so far! Which is great cos this is another species i hope to continue for at least another generation.

L2d.jpg

L2c.jpg

setupa.jpg

Same new pic taken from this species, the oldest must have molted several times and is about three quater inch now. There has been no ill effect from feeding fruit flies at all, although now i am starting to feed the laregr nymphs with firebrate. The way this species feed is just amusing, a very ambush type predator, evethough they have very small raptoral arms.

L5a.jpg

L7a.jpg

L5b.jpg

I have disaster with this species. 4 of them escape by jumping out from the open container, another 5 die for no reason and 4 more mismolt. For those that couldn't make it, my suspect is lack of heat. But i have one that is at subadult. Lesson learn from this species, lot of heat and never under-estimate their high jump ability!

Sad sight

sad1.jpg

subadult?

suba6.jpg

suba7.jpg

suba8.jpg

:( sorry to hear that you lost some... great pictures

Oh i have one subadult left :( i must admit that this species needs extra care and obviously the mistake i have is due to my neglect i.e. letting them escape, didn't monitor the heat, didn't feed too often (yes they need food constantly). It is still possible to raise this species if you can spend more time into this particular species, which is what i don't have :cry:

Thanks Alan, not a good job on my side considering i have many nymphs but left with 1 adult at the end. Believed i can do a better job if given another chance on keeping this species again (but probably not in near future). I will donate this species to insect zoo in the Houston museum for exhibition. I hope other people who bought nymphs from me fare better. I have no regret!! it is a cute species!

Edit: Been told this is an adult female!!

Yes indeed!! Look similar to large grasshopper nymph.

THe head for this species is not as flexible as other species of praying mantis. In fact, i have noticed that most ground dwelling mantis don't have the ability to turn 180degree like other species. They will turn the entire body instead of just turning the head.

Latest posts