European Spiny Pillbug

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orin

Reaction score
Nice newer species in the isopod hobby.

Attachments

• Christarmadillidium muricatum.jpg
    Christarmadillidium muricatum.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 8
Heh, they’re so metal 😄 They remind me of the pineapple and ankylosaur isopods. I like the various spiky isopods, they’re a really interesting twist on the more familiar form. I adore the Cuban spiny, thai spined and shiny gator isopods, all also spikes, but they’re still pretty spendy. I’m hoping they come down in price in the next few years. The most intensely spiked ones I’ve seen are the white skull isopods, they’re absolutely bonkers looking.

Heh, they’re so metal 😄 They remind me of the pineapple and ankylosaur isopods. I like the various spiky isopods, they’re a really interesting twist on the more familiar form. I adore the Cuban spiny, thai spined and shiny gator isopods, all also spikes, but they’re still pretty spendy. I’m hoping they come down in price in the next few years. The most intensely spiked ones I’ve seen are the white skull isopods, they’re absolutely bonkers looking.
I’ve just realised that the reason these look like the pineapple isopods is that they are pineapple isopods, just a different name. Silly me, should have looked at the scientific name! 😅

nothing unless they overtake the containers and that's what mine do.
Think something like this might help reduce the numbers? I've never used springtails, but I did something similar to reduce the population of isopods. This suggestion came from a Reddit thread on how to remove springtails from terrariums.

"The dwarf species eat a lot less and are not as destructive. If you really want to control them try predators or just putting down a piece of veg/fruit as bait and scooping them out during night."