Euthyrhynchus floridanus

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to you, hopefully they will lay/hatch a new generation for you soon. :D Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I was keeping Oncopeltus fasciatus over the winter for future mantid feeders, and they suddenly died off between the 2nd and 3rd generations. Other insects are interesting, and I plan to start more colonies this year as I find them. As I think I need more than my Armadillidium nasatum (isopods), Acheta domesticus (house crickets), Collembola (springtails), various fruit flies, my last millipede (Anadenobolus monilicornis), and various mantids. ;)

Congrats to you, hopefully they will lay/hatch a new generation for you soon. :D Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I was keeping Oncopeltus fasciatus over the winter for future mantid feeders, and they suddenly died off between the 2nd and 3rd generations. Other insects are interesting, and I plan to start more colonies this year as I find them. As I think I need more than my Armadillidium nasatum (isopods), Acheta domesticus (house crickets), Collembola (springtails), various fruit flies, my last millipede (Anadenobolus monilicornis), and various mantids. ;)
Thank you :)  

You should get into roaches! They are super fun to keep and can make great feeders. I highly recommend it!

awesome would you sell the next gen ?
If I end up with too many eggs I'll be putting some up for sale :)

1+! You definitely should get into roaches, they are great as pets, feeders, even composters! :D Seriously, what aren't they good for!?
Indeed I would but my wife is overly worried about a roach infestation from any escapees (as it happens occasionally when feeding mantids with crickets or flies). One of the reasons I would try the Panchlora nivea is the need for 90 F for breeding, making a infestation very unlikely (however nothing is 100% foolproof so that removes them as a option still).

Perhaps if I cover a 3 foot square area with glue traps and place a habitat in the middle it may be a option; however, even that idea got shot down by her. ;)

Indeed I would but my wife is overly worried about a roach infestation from any escapees (as it happens occasionally when feeding mantids with crickets or flies). One of the reasons I would try the Panchlora nivea is the need for 90 F for breeding, making a infestation very unlikely (however nothing is 100% foolproof so that removes them as a option still).

Perhaps if I cover a 3 foot square area with glue traps and place a habitat in the middle it may be a option; however, even that idea got shot down by her. ;)
The thing is, temperature is not as important as the humidity in your house in order for the roaches to survive, if any of the non pest species were to escape from their container, they would almost certainly die in a few days. Your house would need to be extremely humid and moist for even the dry hardy roaches to survive, let alone breed.

Trust me, as long as you are not dealing with pest species that have adapted to live in the cool, arid cave that is a human house, you won't be getting a roach infestation anytime soon. ;)

The thing is, temperature is not as important as the humidity in your house in order for the roaches to survive, if any of the non pest species were to escape from their container, they would almost certainly die in a few days. Your house would need to be extremely humid and moist for even the dry hardy roaches to survive, let alone breed.

Trust me, as long as you are not dealing with pest species that have adapted to live in the cool, arid cave that is a human house, you won't be getting a roach infestation anytime soon. ;)
Thanks for the information. Perhaps it will help to eventually try them.