Ever feed wild mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup! As a kid I'd catch a mantid in one hand and a grasshopper in the other and hand feed her (was always a girl). I'd just sit and watch. Absolutely fascinating.

I'd feed em if I had any wild ones any less than a ferry ride and drive away. Nice to see some recent mantis pics from you though Yeatzee, I really enjoyed looking through your galleries, lush compositions indeed.

Why does the bottom of the fly blur out like so? I can't work it out.

Yup! As a kid I'd catch a mantid in one hand and a grasshopper in the other and hand feed her (was always a girl). I'd just sit and watch. Absolutely fascinating.
I did the same when I was a little kid :)

I'd feed em if I had any wild ones any less than a ferry ride and drive away. Nice to see some recent mantis pics from you though Yeatzee, I really enjoyed looking through your galleries, lush compositions indeed.

Why does the bottom of the fly blur out like so? I can't work it out.
This isn't really "recent" per se just one I never posted here. Im not sure what your seeing with the fly, it looks perfectly normal to me :)

Nice! I always feed the wild ones.

There was a big Chinese girl that stayed in the yard a few days and I fed her butterflies, soldier flies and even honey. But she wouldn't eat the giant bee I was trying to feed here.

Videos of her here:

I'm sure it's normal, what I meant was I don't understand why the flies wing and body at the very bottom is white as opposed to just OOF. There's a lot I don't understand though :rolleyes:

I think perhaps it is the flash hitting it if that is what was used to create the white background after looking at it some more. Either way, I like the shot, I just try to understand how an image is composed and lit when I like it.

I really like your picture Y! u really caught her good there! now she will come begging every time u open your door :tt2:

ps, u know you are not supposed to feed the strays! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never find any around, or I would feed them. :p I do feed the spiders and lizards occasionally. I guess it is weird, but I always enjoy feeding the spiders. I had one female silver garden spider that took a moth out of my hand. Usually I use hemostats, but it is a pain when they get wrapped.

Latest posts