Excited about fruit flies!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxOfFrogs

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm sure you hardened keepers have long since lost the excitement about feeder care, but as I'm only 3.5 weeks into mantis ownership I've just had my first fruit flies appear from the pupae that appeared as a result of my shop-bought starter culture breeding. 1 fly appeared yesterday, 4 or 5 more today, and I anticipate waking up tomorrow to LOADS of them! It's like having countless free pets :) I fed my L3 orchid mantis 4 flies while I cleaned out her enclosure today - she eats them far quicker than just a couple of weeks ago. Amazing creatures and a great hobby - just wanted to share the smiles :) :) :)  

First times are always interesting aren't they. I remember being intrigued by them little maggots crawling around. Im glad you are enjoying success with your culturing. There's several more things you can grow for live foods and tons of info on here how to do so. Roaches, black soldier flies, and moths: wax, silk and hawk are my favorites. 

First times are always interesting aren't they. I remember being intrigued by them little maggots crawling around. Im glad you are enjoying success with your culturing. There's several more things you can grow for live foods and tons of info on here how to do so. Roaches, black soldier flies, and moths: wax, silk and hawk are my favorites. 
Hi. I am interested to know what to move up to when the mantis out-grows the small fruit flies!

Hi. I am interested to know what to move up to when the mantis out-grows the small fruit flies!
Roaches, crix, flies, there are lots of options! 

It is funny that you are so excited about the ff. I only got excited when the first culture I made started reproducing. Then it was back to the battle to keep the mold off the medium!

- MantisGirl13

Roaches, crix, flies, there are lots of options! 

It is funny that you are so excited about the ff. I only got excited when the first culture I made started reproducing. Then it was back to the battle to keep the mold off the medium!

- MantisGirl13
Haha, I had mold quite quickly on my first tub from the pet shop so I returned it (having read that mold should be kept away from the mantis at all cost).

I'm sure the novelty will quickly wear off, but everything about it is exciting at the moment!

I was never excited with my FF. They are just annoying and that is every feeder with wings. But they are good mantis food ;)

The grasshoppers are nice to see, but they are just food, like the dubias.

Latest posts