Exo-Terra screen terrariums

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a few of the Exoterras, and while I like them, I'm a bit put-off by the door design. I've got to watch all four sides whenI close it - even the hinged side. It's dangerous to have a lot of scurrying L1's in one of these. So far, sliding doors in the front are my favorite option. Still on the lookout for new innovations...

Phil, Krissim, I will always remember the first time I got to watch nymphs explore their new world. I spent hours sitting and watching them climb around their new homes, interacting with one another and with their prey. I was lucky enough to have two different L1 species; Miomantis paykullii and Tenodera sinensis. I was so fascinated by the difference in not only size, but shape, posture, behavior, and ability. I sat and watched my nymphs for at least an hour every day for about a week after I got my first batch.

It's wonderful to just sit and watch. :)

Phil, Krissim, I will always remember the first time I got to watch nymphs explore their new world. I spent hours sitting and watching them climb around their new homes, interacting with one another and with their prey. I was lucky enough to have two different L1 species; Miomantis paykullii and Tenodera sinensis. I was so fascinated by the difference in not only size, but shape, posture, behavior, and ability. I sat and watched my nymphs for at least an hour every day for about a week after I got my first batch.

It's wonderful to just sit and watch. :)
Amen!

I was eyeballing this one yesterday at a reptile store. They had it priced at $40, which seemed to be reasonable.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_small.php

I know my girls can't climb glass at all, but if I pretty much cover the walls with a good climbing material, do you guys think it would be an ideal house for an adult? I like to plan ahead.

I have a exo terra nano 8x8x12 that I am planning to house my orchid in when it gets bigger. They are solid, and I just glued that mesh to the glass sides, they work well.

I have a (glass) Exo-Terra Nano (tall), and love it! But I'd love to know what materials those of you who have one have used in order to create appropriate climbing and molting spaces. Does anyone's mantis actually crawl on the fake styrafoam rock???? Also, do you use a glue gun to secure the objects inside, and how do you attach it via the glass?

Right now, I just have a house plant in there that my Cilnia Humeralis/Wide Armed mantis just kind of hangs on. But I'm not sure she's getting the right molting opportunities.

If anyone has photos of their Exo-terra set ups, would love to see them! Thanks!

Lauren

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you don't need to glue to the glass if you don't want, all the leaves in thes pics are wedged in the small space between the lid and glass, and I break branches down to a size that fit's tightly in at least two spots so they can't move and are stable, but I can remove them still to clean when needed.

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

L3 Gongy in there Exo

IMAG0005-1.jpg

Your terrariums are the BEST!!!!

I had always wondered about how you get your branches to stay put, but I guess that makes sense. I was hesitant to glue anything down for cleaning purposes.

You're so clever! I've always liked how you use the row of twigs on top, so that is what I'm going to create as well. It's nice to get a more close up view of all of your tanks... thanks for posting them!!

LL

PS- Nice DVD collection ;)

Loving these cages, but I can't seem to find this particular one that Precarious posted a while back. It's kind of a DIY type cage where you can build with like plastic piping for the frame and a really nice black netting on the outside. They use them all the time at the zoo for reptiles and Phasmids in the holding room. Anyone know what they're called?

Thanks. I'm trying to find a good tall cage for my brother's New Caledonian Crested Gecko, and these should work nicely. ;)

Latest posts