Extatosoma tiaratum food for the winter

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engraver30

Reaction score
I just recently inhearated two of these specimines and I have plenty of food for them now, but any suggestions what I should feed them in the winter. I am very new to this species, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

No I did not get it, I just checked my messages again and there was nothing, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

b4sterd computer, sorry for that then, basicly what randy said, the bramble would of died off a bit down to a small quarntity in the midle of a bush, they also eat oak and eucalyptus, how does eucalyptus over winter?

Randy and Morpheus,

Thanks for your help. The guy that gave me these Extatosoma tiaratum is a hortoculturast and he told me yesterday if I need him to grow anything for these bugs over the winter he could put it in his green house.

I really appreciate your help. I have always liked Pray Mantids, but never gave much thought to Stick insects until now. Now I am torn between which I like better. Anyway, are there any sites you could recommend that I could go to to get some more info on these wonderful creatures.

Thanks

I am feeding mine on standard rose and brambles when I can get it... they wont touch eucalyptus anymore for some reason.

great animals love them, just had my male turn adult right on same day as female!

Randy and Morpheus,Thanks for your help. The guy that gave me these Extatosoma tiaratum is a hortoculturast and he told me yesterday if I need him to grow anything for these bugs over the winter he could put it in his green house.

I really appreciate your help. I have always liked Pray Mantids, but never gave much thought to Stick insects until now. Now I am torn between which I like better. Anyway, are there any sites you could recommend that I could go to to get some more info on these wonderful creatures.

Thanks
Hello Engraver30,

I'd recommend the following website (click on the phasmid section):

http://www.bugsincyberspace.com/backyard_bugs.html

Peter is usually pretty good about answering phasmid questions too ;) He's raised about a hundred different species, though many aren't pictured on the website.

Peter

Love the promotion peter :lol:

I have never had a problem collecting bramble in the winter, it just goes a little black, and sometimes crispy.

I think privet and ivy are both available in the winter though as well.

Thanks for all of everyones help.

I unfortunalty lost one of my ET's today, he had a very bad molt two weeks ago but he was doing fine. He just up and died.

On a happier note, my female laid her first egg last night. I am very excited even since she has not been with a male.

Thanks again

Tony

I actually have the most trouble locating decent foodplants in the spring when the new foliage finally starts to thrive. Up until that point I can always find some decent last-season bramble (throughout winter), but as soon as the new fuzzy/light green foliage starts the old stuff goes black and dies off.

(yeah, you like that Ian? ;) ...too bad I can't sell or even really keep phasmids here in the US...oh, those glory days!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have the most trouble locating decent foodplants in the spring when the new foliage finally starts to thrive. Up until that point I can always find some decent last-season bramble (throughout winter), but as soon as the new fuzzy/light green foliage starts the old stuff goes black and dies off.(yeah, you like that Ian? ;) ...too bad I can't sell or even really keep phasmids here in the US...oh, those glory days!)
Peter,

I talked to one of my cousins a few weeks ago that works for the USDA and he told me that he thought getting a permit to keep phasmids should not be too hard. He was going to look into that for me and let me know. If he gets me some info, I will forward it back to you.

Peter,I talked to one of my cousins a few weeks ago that works for the USDA and he told me that he thought getting a permit to keep phasmids should not be too hard. He was going to look into that for me and let me know. If he gets me some info, I will forward it back to you.
So... any info?

Latest posts