EXTREMELY URGENT HELP PLEASE

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
I have a orchid mantis (/3/l4), inside a 32oz container with the cofee filter material lid...

I put it outside in the sun for a good 5 minutes or so and it's about 83 degress, when i come back, the mantis is on the floor.

It's still alive but not responding very well, it's got no usage of it's back two legs, and only limited partial movement of its raptorials and other two legs.

Is this some sort of heat flash? Is there any way to help care for it? It's currently propped upwards, but it hasnt moved at all for a while, and I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, it's one of my babies!

I say that because I have seen a few of my Chinese out in the garden they are l1 and a good inch big and a few days ago I seen a jumping spider jump on one and get shaken off but a few minutes later the mantis stopped moving and died. :(

Mantis can't be in a container in direct sun it will kill them quicker than you would think, you would not want to be in a car with the windows rolled up when it's 83, and there more delicate than us, I hope it makes it but now you know what a bad idea it was, sorry...

yes, I have wrote about this before, putting them into a situtation where they are not used to brings on an extreme temp change, and just like us gives them heat stroke. I t will prob did. sorrry

Know how condenstion occurs hwen putting a water bottle out in the sun?

Imagine doing that with your cage, I will assume it it reached high temps and got very humid. It is very sad when it happens. If she is moving she will probally make it. Keep away from windows and near heat lamps mine is at 85 F and is doing fine

I lost a shield once when I was organizing the menagerie and the sun moved to the bed where the enclosure was. It happens very quickly. I felt horrible for something that could have so easily been avoided.

I would offer water but other than that not much you can do but take the mantis out of the situation. Hopefully the heat did not cause any permanent damage. If you want to enjoy the great outdoors with your bugs, net cages are the way to go. Even then it is prudent to make sure your critter has access to shade if they want it.

it's able to move all limbs, but after two hours, it cant't open one of its raptorials and use the fine strip of leg used to grip onto things for one of the raptoials and two of the back!

Mist and no real heat (72-78) for a day or 2 is my best advise, but I think it got a little fried if it was fine before, so brace for the worst and hope for the best.

I once made the same mistake many years ago. I literally baked the poor mantis.

And 2 years ago i almost lost a female the same way. I just woke up a bit late, the sun was high and could reach the temporary enclosure of the female. When i checked, her mandibles were moving a lot like she was chewing and could barely walk. I quickly covered her with droplets of really cold water. She drank some of the water and regained strength in less than 15 minutes.

It's regaining usage of limbs again, everything seems functional! Any tips on what to do? I won't make that mistake twice ):
You know, the EXACT same thing happened with my Creo. I think she might have overheated or something. All is fine with her now.

P.S. Maybe your problem had to do with ventilation? I have heard that Orchid mantids are very intolerant of bad ventilation.

Why do you guys who keep these awesome insects as pets, keep them in small or ghetto housing? If your goin to raise them or have them as pets, come on common sense should be please dont put them in too small space for size, give them least a good home with something more then a twig and a cotton ball, make it look good like something u would want to live in, i get so mad all youtube vids and all, etc see people no clue what doing and have these creatures in housing they shouldnt be in and disregarded as just a thing to keep alive so u can watch it eat, and most of all think before u do anything or ask if unsure! Orchid and flower ones also seem to me to be more valuable to just be in a container, they should be kept in good houses with plenty of ways to look at and interact with it, not a damn cup

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts