Eyesight damage from flash photography?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strelnikov

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I took a picture of my male Orchid last night as it was pumping up its new wings after a molt. The light in my room was on and I had a pretty good focus on the phone screen, so I didn't expect the flash to kick in. But it did. That got a reaction (he staggered a bit and turned around).

I may have dazzled him, but I'm worried about permanent damage because of how sensitive their eyes are. Currently (about 12 hrs after the molt), he doesn't have a lot of head movement or reaction to prey and seems a bit sluggish. In daylight, the eyes are still reddish in pigment rather than the usual cream (though they aren't the nocturnal purple) - not sure if this is just a feature of the adult male, as it matches the wing casing.

I hope I'm just reading too much into a lack of appetite and docility after the final molt, but does anyone know whether a close camera flash could have left lasting damage to a mantid's vision?

I've never heard of problems happening, and I'd used flash myself on various cameras; although, I tend to avoid using flash even though it freezes the action, the mantid exoskelton tends to reflect too much light (or washes out their colors).

I myself have used some really bright lights to take photographs, and many members here are advanced amateur photographers and some professional photographers, so they really put out some strong studio lights. I doubt a flash would do much than upset them till the effect wears off. ;)

Regarding adult male mantids and food, the older the are the less they tend to eat. I've had several that would only eat once every few weeks at most, even when offered food every other day.

Your welcome and best of luck with your Orchid (they are a beautiful species). :D

When he reaches adulthood, and if you don't have a female, you can offer a mantid/ooth exchange with someone that only has a female. That way a female gets bred by your male, and you get a few ooths (or whatever you and the other member decide) for the exchange - see the classified ads for previous such posts.

Also welcome to the forum, feel free to post a introduction - it is also a requirement to post in the classified ads. ;)

12 hours is rather quick to start introducing prey. I would suggest waiting at least 24 hours after a molt before feeding. Mantises are often rather placid directly after a molt and many will ignore prey. I doubt the camera flash damaged his eyes, but would suggest being careful about startling a mantis directly after a molt as if he panicked he could potentially damage his still fresh exoskeleton flailing around.

Thanks to you both! I'll post an introduction and some pics later :)

@ Krissim, there were already some fruit flies in the terrarium (they were docile so weren't going to interfere with the molt). I guess I was more worried he didn't seem to move his head much and register them, which made me wonder about visual damage... wasn't so fussed about feeding straight away. As an update, he was back on the game stalking prey this morning so he's obviously fine!

This is my first mandid, I'll definitely be getting some more! There's a shop near me that always has Orchids so hopefully I'll bag a female soon :D

Great to hear you can buy mantids nearby, that must be awesome. The most my pet store carries that can be used in our hobby are crickets and coconut fiber, even fruit flies are special order. Hopefully you can find a adult female from them, if nothing else request one and see if they can get her.

Latest posts