Fast molting question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeWhiteGuy

Reaction score
Okay so I just took a look at one of the mantids and it seems to have its 2 back legs stuck in its molt what should I do its been this way for an hour now

How far 'in' are they?

It may just not feel confident enough that is has a good enough grip to step out yet, I've had a couple of budwings stay somewhat attached their old shell for a few hours after moulting before fully stepping free.

But I am unsure about whether you mean most of its legs are visible and the feet are still inside or whether the hind legs haven't even begun to emerge from the exoskeleton.

Any chance of getting a picture?

It is hard to tell from that picture, but it doesnt look like it is in imminent danger, problem is after already being like that for an hour, if it indeed was a mismolt and the new exoskeleton has hardened and fused with the old moult then attempting to free the legs could damage the legs pretty severely.

It could still very well be just fine and still using its old moult for support, my experiences with budwings in this respect looked very similiar to your picture but I can't really garuntee one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a good sign, if its intentions were the move it would've pulled free.

My only suggestion would be carefully attempting to secure the old molt to stop the dragging and hope that it pulls free.

It may have slipped during the final stages of the moult.

It shouldn't cause death but could make the next molt a bit harder, sorry I caught this post late but if it should happen again after more than a hour of still being in the old skin you may want to use tweezers and gently try to remove the old skin either with a gentle misting or dry, and keep in mind most of the time the tip of the rear end is supposed to be the last part out, not the legs.

Edit: or dry, not of dry, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
what i do is i mist them then grab by the shed skin (NOT the parts it's stuck in or those parts will be crushed) and GENTLY shake side to side until it loosens out

works for me all the time

what i do is i mist them then grab by the shed skin (NOT the parts it's stuck in or those parts will be crushed) and GENTLY shake side to side until it loosens out

works for me all the time
Doesn't that hurt the mantid?? I did that with mine and it had a mismolt. It's a very severe mismolt.

Latest posts