feeder help asap

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsyrosey

Reaction score
hi

so basically my ghosts molted to L5 this week, they were previously on fruit flies and all was well. so i was prepared and i ordered some house flies for after their next molt. well, all of the flies arrived dead the day before they molted. yay.

so now, i have 3 L5 mantises who won’t eat anything i’m offering. i’ve tried fruit flies again (they’ve each eaten a few but won’t eat any more), waxworms, super worms, mealworms, i even tried a cricket even though i know they’re not great but they won’t eat anything. i ordered more flies last week and i haven’t even gotten a confirmation email yet. no stores near me have any flies at all, and i don’t know what to do. at the moment i’ve just been leaving them with some fruit flies in their enclosure since i know they’re nowhere near another molt yet.

are there any other common feeder a pet store may have that i can try? or does anyone know any reliable websites that process orders fast? any help is very appreciated.

mars

luckily, yes! my flies came in and my little mantids are verh very happy little bugs!! only  question is what i’m supposed to feed the flies??
Houseflies? You don't have to feed them anything, just keep them in the fridge. 

- MantisGirl13

I make a nectar for flies with 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup molasses, a half teaspoon soy sauce, stir, then thicken to saltwater taffy texture with fructose

each 100mL of water gets 1g of this concentrate and I feed this to flies along with crested gecko diet or milk for protein and then they are nicely gut-loaded for mantises

I don't bother to fridge my flies as they are eaten well before their 3 week lifespans are up, but i don't usually like feeding "empty" flies to my mantises unless i'm really in a pinch

the other thing you can do is place the ghosts in a cooler room so they aren't in immediate need of food