feeder insects

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
I have a simple question as to how much on feeder insects do you go through for a entire clutch of mantids of those that hatched or a life cycle of mantids?

Have never kept track. Lots.

Also moving this to the feeding section.

I have a simple question as to how much on feeder insects do you go through for a entire clutch of mantids of those that hatched or a life cycle of mantids?
Well, there is a pretty simple formula, Massaman, though it might be out of date by now. It is based on S. limbata fed on ff,s flies, crix, bees, roaches and "sundry snacks." The answer is in grams, so you have to divide the answer according to the ratio of insects fed, about 12.5mgms for a housefly 160mgms for a worker bee, and so on.

Nest, you take the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin in your area and multiply that by the number of atheists found in foxholes in WWI. For larger mantids, you can increase the circumference of the pin head and/or lengthen the trenches.

Its still pretty early in the morning for me, so thanks for not asking a difficult question. :rolleyes:

Well, there is a pretty simple formula, Massaman, though it might be out of date by now. It is based on S. limbata fed on ff,s flies, crix, bees, roaches and "sundry snacks." The answer is in grams, so you have to divide the answer according to the ratio of insects fed, about 12.5mgms for a housefly 160mgms for a worker bee, and so on.Nest, you take the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin in your area and multiply that by the number of atheists found in foxholes in WWI. For larger mantids, you can increase the circumference of the pin head and/or lengthen the trenches.

Its still pretty early in the morning for me, so thanks for not asking a difficult question. :rolleyes:
:lol:

And I though Phil was an english teacher, not a algebra or philosophy professor :p

That would all depend on several variables, what type and nutrition the particular feeder has, the temperature at which you keep your mantis, I would imagine that the aggression between and if there are dominant or submisive individuals, and maybe even the barometric pressure and what color shoes you wear when you feed them.

I would imagine what you feed the feeders may also be a factor, as less nutrition would prompt the mantis to seek more food to make up for that nutrition void, so vitamins on the feeder, as in pollen or feeder vitamin powder, may be a big issue.

Maybe an experiment of feeders with a contol group, and a group that runs naked through a pile of pollen and honey while singing cumbya or michael row the boat ashore would give a difinitive answer, and then you could enlighten us all...and Phil would have something to read with his morning cup o' Joe, or whatever the brit slang is for the mornin' mug.

I suppose no matter what subject Phil taught, he's still be an English teacher though, being from England... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there is a pretty simple formula, Massaman, though it might be out of date by now. It is based on S. limbata fed on ff,s flies, crix, bees, roaches and "sundry snacks." The answer is in grams, so you have to divide the answer according to the ratio of insects fed, about 12.5mgms for a housefly 160mgms for a worker bee, and so on.Nest, you take the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin in your area and multiply that by the number of atheists found in foxholes in WWI. For larger mantids, you can increase the circumference of the pin head and/or lengthen the trenches.

how do u think of this :huh: :lol: