Feeders galore

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my feeder collection.

BB's laying eggs.

DSCN7004_zps7aab895b.jpg

GB's making their exodus

DSCN6973_zpsd8f71c66.jpg

Hydei fruit fly cultures

DSCN6995_zpsfdff5a1d.jpg

Roaches (Hissssser/Dubia mix)

DSCN6994_zpsd0cb6e6e.jpg

Mealworms

DSCN6999_zps0959c190.jpg

DSCN7000_zpsbbbf01b7.jpg

Superworms

DSCN6996_zps38ca12b3.jpg

DSCN6997_zpsbbc0d707.jpg

...and my latest addition...Garden snails

DSCN6978_zps1fb05619.jpg

One of the reasons I do it all...

DSCN6968_zpse8d506ba.jpg

Oh My! no more snails! yuck, on the othe hand, nice collection, must keep you busy! I like the ff holder! Very bright idea! and hey, how did u get the flies to lay on the dog food?

Oh My! no more snails! yuck, on the othe hand, nice collection, must keep you busy! I like the ff holder! Very bright idea! and hey, how did u get the flies to lay on the dog food?
I have had problems with the wet dog food where the flies seemed to mass suicide somehow by all getting in the "juice" and dying. I placed the dry food on top of the chunky wet food to not allow it and it seems to have worked wonderfully. In time, with misting, the dry dog food will become moist and be consumed with the other food.

Nice feeders! :) u don't eat the snails raw? C'mon, live a little! :p and are all those hydei cultures for the soon to hatch chams?

Yes, the hydei are for the babies once they hatch. I eed to make some more once these start hatching into flies. I had to emergency order some flies, as mine just seemed to crash. I don't know if they were at the "end of the line" for reproducing (I've been reculturing the same flies for quite some time), or what, but I'm back on track and they are booming.

Flies will culture for(basically)ever .....they have so few chromosome count (like 16 or somethin) inbreeding doesn't detrimentally harm them...

I hope ur chams hatch soon! :D I plan on getting a pair :)

It is horrible waiting. I keep looking for the eggs to be sweating which signals hatching soon. I want to know what's going on inside. My hatch estimate was between April and June, so that puts it just about at the halfway point of my prediction. I have noticed the eggs seem to be getting larger. They will hatch when they're ready, I guess.

That last photo. One of the reasons you do it, for a branch with weird googly eyes? I kid, I kid.

How would you rate the time involvement on the blue bottle flies? I've been sort of tempted to try doing them but then again I only keep a few mantises at a time so not sure if it is worth it.

It's better to have too many flies than not enough. You can always sell your excess or just release them. Great freebie with a mantis purchase, too.

Just buy a can of dog food, spread it out into one layer, and leave it outside in a warm, but shaded area (out of reach of animals). You'll see what flies it is attracting immediately. Just let everyone go about their business and in a very short time, you'll start to see eggs. Take it from there.

I keep BB's culturing separate and the GB's (and whatever else is in the mix) are wild cultured as described.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts