Feeders galore

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put out a can of dog food today for the "wild" flies. It is a nice warm day and it should stay that way for a few days. They grow so much faster with warmer temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do the same but also use a 2 liter coke bottle with the top cut off then inserted like a funnel they enter and cant get out. Leave for a few days and they will lay in there.

Escargot ! Oui ! Yum !

Patrick, I'd pay you in gold bullion for some of those FFs !! Actually, I need melanos. Got 200+ newborns to feed and 1 crashed culture and a starter culture that seems to be sputtering. Will email my supplier later for an emergency shipment of ready melanos.

It's better to have too many flies than not enough. You can always sell your excess or just release them. Great freebie with a mantis purchase, too.

Just buy a can of dog food, spread it out into one layer, and leave it outside in a warm, but shaded area (out of reach of animals). You'll see what flies it is attracting immediately. Just let everyone go about their business and in a very short time, you'll start to see eggs. Take it from there.

I keep BB's culturing separate and the GB's (and whatever else is in the mix) are wild cultured as described.
Hahaha, for wild flies I just go out in the early morning. Gross as it may be I think my dog Kirby keeps them well fed with his daily gifts of doggy poo. Sadly if I left any food it would be hard to allow flies to come yet keep it from my neighbor's cats, all the birds, and squirrels. Oh and the ants... can't forget them.

I would mostly be interested in the BB's since they are a size up from the ones I usually catch outside. Do they need a good light cycle? I have a barn in the back so I figured I could culture them in there but not sure how much light they will get since I would need to keep it under lock once again to keep out the neighbor's cats and other critters...

sometimes i mass produce wild fruit flies in a 5 gallon bucks with screen on top so only the fruit flies can get in, but there are millions of them and hard to manage. this is only when im planning on 5 or so ooths hatching, lol. rest of the time i just use cultures.

I have baby snails! :clap:

DSCN7245_zps0fb72408.jpg

thats very cool! if you had a jacksons they LOVE snails! i raise crickets but not roaches they're to scary :helpsmilie: nice collection of feeders btw.

Latest posts