Feeding Aphids to Gambian Spotted Eyes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
We have some pet GSEs and they seem to prefer aphids to all other foods. They are currently sub adult and, while they eat the occasional small cricket, usually eat Hydei. Lately I have been flicking these fat winged aphids off of our rose bushes into a deli cup and feeding them copious amounts of the sap-suckers. They seem to love them - even the skinny males who always hang out on the fake foliage together.

Anyways, I expect that the rose fed aphids may be better nutrition for them than the ff fed on medium.

Anyone have good or bad luck with aphids?

We have some pet GSEs and they seem to prefer aphids to all other foods. They are currently sub adult and, while they eat the occasional small cricket, usually eat Hydei. Lately I have been flicking these fat winged aphids off of our rose bushes into a deli cup and feeding them copious amounts of the sap-suckers. They seem to love them - even the skinny males who always hang out on the fake foliage together.Anyways, I expect that the rose fed aphids may be better nutrition for them than the ff fed on medium.

Anyone have good or bad luck with aphids?
Used 'em last year some for my sinensis nymphs. I think up to L3 or so... I don't see why there'd be problems for anyone.

So put me down for 'good luck' with them. Mine came off of rose and apple new growth.

Aphids produce a sweet nectar (certain ants "farm" aphids for this nectar as food) so I would think aphids would be like little drops honey to mantids, probably explains why they like them so much.

Latest posts