feeding babies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pewarchuk

Reaction score
so i have some 4 day old chinese mantis

i ordered some fruit flies from my lps and they said it will be another week, i tried capturing them my self, ive tried the wet dog food

is there anything else live that would work

Yeah, those nymphs aren't going to last much longer without food. I don't kno whether you live in the city or country, but if you live in the city, see if they have a PetCo in addition to your lps; they should have some, thouigh they are very expensive bought that way.

If you live in the country, take a sweep net and run it through the highest grass you can find.

Good luck

i live in B.C canada, but i did find these little green flys but they are bigger than a fruit fly, and what about aphids would they work

Fruit flies are attracted to fruit. Put half a banana in a container with only a small opening. Set it outside and it should attract wild ones.

any small insect should work and my rule of thumb is if the insects head is as big as the nymph in question then its the right size for the nymph to take down and devour but dont get anything bigger then them unless your sure the insect wont cause a problem!

if only i could describe these bugs that i catch and use instead of fruit flies well i did a little drawing of what they look like but not sure what kind of bug it would be though

bug.jpg

as my mom calls them noodles but they are all over the place and my mantids love them and i can catch them just about every day!

if only i could describe these bugs that i catch and use instead of fruit flies well i did a little drawing of what they look like but not sure what kind of bug it would be thoughas my mom calls them noodles but they are all over the place and my mantids love them and i can catch them just about every day!
Are they found in the house?

no they are all over the place outside they are i think like a moth or something but they have real skinny wings like if you made a paper airplane and two long white antennas i think i can find what they might be though!

this is what the bug looks like and they are pretty small and are all over the place!

mothz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts