Feeding bees and wasps

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why not honey bees??
It amazes me people with an insect hobby don't know about the plight of the honey bee. Do a search on colony collapse disorder. Will a guy taking a few bees for his mantids really impact the bee population? Probably not in most cases, but why add to the problem. Not to mention you could be killing bees from your local honey producer. I wouldn't want someone killing my bees intentionally.

I use bumble bees and dont think that is a problem being I see so many of them and other species of smaller wasps or such and have not had one problem other then being stung just once and of course the big bluish paper wasps are ok but their sting does cause swelling and is kind of painful!I use whatever insects are available near me as feeders that I can catch without much effort but the big grasshoppers are a pain in the rear to catch!

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me people with an insect hobby don't know about the plight of the honey bee. Do a search on colony collapse disorder. Will a guy taking a few bees for his mantids really impact the bee population? Probably not in most cases, but why add to the problem. Not to mention you could be killing bees from your local honey producer. I wouldn't want someone killing my bees intentionally.
WHY NOT USE HONEYBEES?!?! DO YOU WANT THE WORLD TO END? Honeybees are in decline all over the world. Basically, if the honeybee goes, (them being the number one pollinator of produce trees and vegetables) then no more fruits or veggies and we will all starve...stop feeding honeybees!

This is why I use bees from an africanized colony of bees...

If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years. -Albert Einstein...

http://blog.targethealth.com/?p=58 read the first couple paragraphs...
Fully support and agree with these opinions.

(Another thing to think about: food prices are rocketing. Wouldn't you rather feed or spend a couple cents on feeders for your mantids, instead of paying dollar upon dollar for your food?)

Latest posts