Feeding (duh) crickets (not so duh)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have issues with animal (or insect) cruelty, please don't read this!!!! Anyway, yeah.... so... I take a cricket out, shock it with an electric fly swatter, and dangle it in front of the mantis. If I'm too slow, the cricket returns to normal.
Wow! I used to do that as a little kid, when I had fire bellied toads. I zapped the crickets with the bug zapper, and quickly carried it into their tank. My mom said back then, if any crickets escaped, I couldn't keep them anymore, since my she hates bugs, or anything alive that moves that is unhuman. Anything!

I'm surprised so many members find crickets creepy. I used to keep them as pets all the time when I was a kid. Usually I just gently scoop them up in my hand. It is the fastest easiest way for me to catch them for feeding. Never been bitten by a cricket doing this. I also don't maim/stun the crickets when feeding and never once had a mantis injured by one. I've always considered crickets rather docile.The honey method Sparky mentioned sounds like it might be interesting to try though.
I prefer to think of it as "modification" versus "maiming". :) I handle the crix ok, but when I hand feed I use forceps. It's easier for the mantis than me holding the crik. I have an old guy that I love and he can't catch his food anymore. I grab the crik by one leg - it falls off, so I go for the other. As my mantid declines, he won't take a big, wiggly crik - minus the legs it's less threatening and he will eat. I truly believe that insects are not capable of processing and/or perceiving pain as we do. I also don't think it's a good idea for society to wantonly "torture" them. My children have been taught that there is no good to come from killing harmless insects. We capture and release all of God's creepy critters. (Except the one's that we feed the mantids :) ) Most crix don't get "modified", it's done on a case by case basis.

I prefer to think of it as "modification" versus "maiming". :)
Modification, sounds like a euphemism to me. That being said, my earlier post wasn't intended to come off as looking down on those who stun/kill/pull legs off their crickets before hand. I was just noting that I have never needed to do anything to crickets. Usually if my mantis is having a problem that just means I need to go down a size for them to feel comfortable. I mainly raise Chinese though so they are usually more than willing to go after crickets of any size.

In the end I don't think it matters much if you have to do something to your feeder's before hand. They are about to get eaten alive so I don't think there is much you can do to them that will top that. Some might say stunning or killing them before hand is the merciful thing to do.

Forgive me if I offend, but I'm getting a good laugh out of some of the responses. My wife is the same way though, CAN"T STAND TO TOUCH A CRICKET! :eek: :eek: But she'll scoop up the Hydei's :huh: When she's forced to feed them, though, she'll use hemostats.

I just reach in and grab a few, then toss them into the cage. Every once in a while, I feel like Nero and dangle one in front of Mr or Ms Mantis. He-he-he.

I've never had a cricket even attempt to bite me! They just try and run. I don't get why so many of you find them so creepy (not calling anyone chickens :p ).

Latest posts